all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Recommendations for “Beast Tamer” training

PTM

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello all,

I’d like to attempt the “Beast Tamer” challenge. In the past, I believe I’ve executed all the events with 40kg, at this point could comfortably do all of them with 32kg. Now 33y/o, 6’2”, 200lb. I have a somewhat physically active/demanding job. Something with a lower volume would be nice, but open to anything. I know a lot of discussion and articles have been published on the subject. Any specific recommendations?

Sounds like you are a relatively experienced lifter, what sort of programming works for you? As you said there is a bunch of Beat Tamer articles on here, which all give a different path to the Beast Tamer.

Beast Tamer by RKC Andrew Read is a good read, complete with a few programming options https://www.amazon.com.au/Ultimate-Russian-Kettlebell-Strength-Challenge-ebook/dp/B00FFHHAFG It's not Strongfirst but it is RKC, so most things are the same philosophy-wise.

This article My Journey to the Beast: Pressing a 48kg Kettlebell | StrongFirst by Myren Fu gives a good alternative to doing huge numbers of reps using traditional ladders

Reactions: PTM
Sounds like you are a relatively experienced lifter, what sort of programming works for you? As you said there is a bunch of Beat Tamer articles on here, which all give a different path to the Beast Tamer.

Beast Tamer by RKC Andrew Read is a good read, complete with a few programming options https://www.amazon.com.au/Ultimate-Russian-Kettlebell-Strength-Challenge-ebook/dp/B00FFHHAFG It's not Strongfirst but it is RKC, so most things are the same philosophy-wise.

This article My Journey to the Beast: Pressing a 48kg Kettlebell | StrongFirst by Myren Fu gives a good alternative to doing huge numbers of reps using traditional ladders
Thank you. As far as what works for me, relatively low volume has always been good for me, even when I was younger and didn’t work as much. I feel like I’ve always tended towards getting muscle soreness and struggled to keep up with some high volume programs while getting good results strength-wise on pretty low volume.

I am training for this as well. I expect it to take another year. You can DM me to discuss. Maybe we can help eachother. You are going at this from a lower weight and I am cutting g from 265 to 240. Can already get the OHP and 28kg on pullup but that dang pistol is tough

Back
Top Bottom