all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Remember to stretch!

Hey y'all, fells silly to point this out, but stretching helps. My back's been bugging me. I've used @Pavel Macek 's Great Gama Protocol to help to manage it, but I recently brought back the stretches from S&S. Wow, what a game-changer! I guess it's just a PSA: don't forget to stretch!
Mind The Gap from Brett Jones has been a game changer for me. The concept of movement prep before your workouts in the norm of addressing your most important weaknesses/barriers for healthy movement whether it is range of motion, strength or stability and doing it in the beginning of your workout when you are fresh is a great approach. You never skip to address your weakness this way.

Hey y'all, fells silly to point this out, but stretching helps. My back's been bugging me. I've used @Pavel Macek 's Great Gama Protocol to help to manage it, but I recently brought back the stretches from S&S. Wow, what a game-changer! I guess it's just a PSA: don't forget to stretch!
Yes!
It's funny, the S&S warmup and cooldown have really stuck with me. Whenever I stop doing the stretches, I notice it pretty quickly. (Same with OS resets! Only 2 minutes per day make a difference.)

Thank for the Mind the Gap reminder, too. I have bought it, but haven't watched it yet. But one hip and ankle drill from Iron Cardio made all the difference for my squatting depth.

Stretching is one of those things I do more often than most, but not nearly often enough. And usually it's minimal before and between sets, rather than having a dedicated space of its own (which it what it truly deserves). Over the decades, I've worked out what works for me and the athletes I coach (swimmers). I've made a few videos on the subject - here's one I made for the team during lockdown - some of these would be more swimming specific than others but anywho - for those interested:

I’ve been playing around with finding a minimum effective dose on stretching because I hate it and never do it consistently enough.

For the past month I’ve been stretching 5x a week for 2x 30-60s at about 50% intensity and it has been working well. I just do a couch stretch, hamstring, bretzle and upper back stretch.

Now that I’m not trying to go 100% every stretch I’m almost enjoying it.

Back
Top Bottom