all posts post new thread

Old Forum Renegade snatch

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Boicis

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello,

I found an interesting exercise on youtube - the renegade snatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPQ5KK857iI

I think it is very good exercise for rear dealts and upper back (core also, of course) and could be useful for balancing sholder development. I tried it with 8 and 16 kg kettlebells, a little bit wierd but felt fine.

But as always with such new exercises, it could be good to see opinions of other people, particularly those more understanding exercise kinesiology.

While I'm not against new exercise variations, I just have to ask myself two questions: 1)Is this the best way to accomplish the goal, and 2)If the answer to #1 is Yes, is it safe as the next best option? It doesn't get a "Yes" for my #1, so I'll just give my thoughts on the exercise in general. Once you take the hip hinge out  by making this a rotational movement, I question the reasoning for trying to do this in a ballistic manner. In this pattern, you don't have much time for a float which means that the "brakes' that can be applied to the bell must act more quickly. In this version, it's the pecs that look like they'll take the brunt of it. Could be fine. Also, every fast kettlebell movement should have a plausible "bailout strategy". Where does the bell go if you fail on the lift or the bell gets loose? Doesn't look like there are many options with this one.  Could it be fun to do? Maybe. But that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to do it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom