all posts post new thread

Strong Endurance Riddle Me This

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
Answer me this, anyone, if you can:

I had been doing sets of 5 snatches on the minute, alternating arms each set.

I switch to doing the 2nd arm after 45 seconds instead of a minute - less rest between the two sets, more rest before starting with the first arm again.

My impression - it felt significantly less tiring.

Why?

Old:
00:00 - 5 right
01:00 - 5 left
02:00 - 5 right
03:00 - 5 left

etc.

New:
00:00 - 5 right
00:45 - 5 left

02:00 - 5 right
02:45 - 5 left

etc.

-S-

It's a little more similar to 044/Q&D series... Short bouts of recovery between brief sets followed by a slightly longer rest to promote recovery of the CP/Alactic system. At the 1-min recovery point you'll experience the "highest oxygen uptake & steepest CP recovery" (from p120 of Edition 1 or p145 of Edition 3 of the StrongEndurance manual... if you have Edition 2, well, I can't help there). And you probably had about 1 minute of recovery before going back to arm 1 on your new plan.

The OTM plan doesn't allow for that extra bit of recovery to occur. Hence you noticed it being more difficult.

It's a little more similar to 044/Q&D series... Short bouts of recovery between brief sets followed by a slightly longer rest to promote recovery of the CP/Alactic system. At the 1-min recovery point you'll experience the "highest oxygen uptake & steepest CP recovery" (from p120 of Edition 1 or p145 of Edition 3 of the StrongEndurance manual... if you have Edition 2, well, I can't help there). And you probably had about 1 minute of recovery before going back to arm 1 on your new plan.

The OTM plan doesn't allow for that extra bit of recovery to occur. Hence you noticed it being more difficult.

this has nothing to do with the original question, but I noticed this table on p.147
IMG_0598.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this right- you only need 2/3rds of the energy to produce 90% of your max speed? So if your time for 100m is 10s, then it would only take 2/3rds of the energy to run 11.1s?

Yes, that looks to be correct. And, your recovery afterward would take 3/4 of the time as what it took after running the 100m in 10s.

@tongzilla when you type it out for a 100m dash it sounds crazy because the margins are so small, but think of this:
if running a 5:00 minute mile 100%, then 90% would be a mile in 5:33.
At 5k, you go from 15:32 to 17:16, almost two minutes slower.

I can't speak for the research, but as a thought experiment it would be markedly easier to run the 2nd value

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom