all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Rite Of Passage Question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Don'tStress

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello All,

I've been doing the RoP with a 24kg kettlebell for presses and am using a 16kg to weigh down my chin ups. I've been on 3(1,2,3) as my heavy day for about two weeks. Is there anything wrong with milking the 3(1,2,3) ladders and not progressing for a little bit? Does one necessarily have to progress every heavy day? Is it detrimental not to? Just getting used to the new weight for both chin ups and the clean and press. This is my first time ever weighing down chin ups as well.

Many Thanks!

@Don'tStress Results produced through Strength and Conditioning training are rarely linear. You may slide back and forth from time to time. Keep practicing the 3 x (1,2,3) and when you can do 5 x (1,2,3,4,5) then advance to a heavier bell.

You can always stay with your given bell til you know you own each rep and set..

For me, owning it would mean you can simply rely on your reflexive strength without having to pull out the tension techniques from your pocket

@Don'tStress, my experience has been that the ROP can be gotten through "by the book" if you follow the guidance on what weight to use to start with. I have known people to go through it faster, but not slower.

Before advising further, I would want to know what your RM is with 24 kg, what your RM is with chin-ups @ bw + 16 kg, and I would want to see a video of both your press and your chin-up. Armed with that information, we might better be able to say whether what you're doing makes sense or not.

-S-

I'm revisiting ROP and now appreciate owning the weight as @Mark Limbaga posted. Yesterday was a my heavy day and the 24kg popped up for all reps. I really notice the difference from my initial cycle of ROP a couple of years ago when I had to grind out the 24, I feel like I definitely own the 24 now and am moving on to the 28 next week. @Don'tStress keep churning out the sessions and you'll get to owning the bell....and you'll know when it happens.

Thank you all for the responses. I've decided to only weigh down my chin ups on light days and medium days. I think moving up to a 24kg for presses AND using a 16kg for chin ups was to much on my nervous system. I'll check back after my heavy day tomorrow.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom