all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S and PTTP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Caine

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello, I'm new on these forums and thought I was see what you guys thought about my workout schedule.

My main goal is to lose about 40lbs while still attempting to maintain/gain strength. I was wondering if doing S&S 6 days a week and bodyweight workouts on the 7th day plus cardio/HIIT every other for 3 weeks and then doing PTTP for 1 or 2 weeks while either still doing S&S everyday or cardio would be stretching myself too thin or not dedicating enough time to either program? If so, are there any suggestions you can give me?

I'm still relatively new to both programs, having done them off and on for about 3-4 months.

Caine,

What is your age/training history/and metabolic health (e.g. are you pre-diabetic)?

No mention of food intake... you'll be shooting yourself in the foot otherwise.  On the contrary, you will lose body fat with proper food intake/portions alone, so any "one" solid program will help with muscle wasting and strength.

Hello Caine,

Tips and suggestions:

- S&S for 12 weeks, PTTP for 12 weeks - you WILL get stronger

- as for losing 40 lbs, focus on diet (my personal recommendation is Primal/Paleo - try Whole30 program and be amazed), and add lots of walking in the nature.

It is that simple.

Thanks for your replies. I am 22, and I have some basic training experience from strength training from high school football and martial arts on and off. I have no health issues.

I am currently on an 1800 calorie diet and I have tried Paleo in the past for about 3 months. I have been attempting to get back into it but have been struggling. I've also been taking a look at the warrior diet as well.

I recommend Eat,Stop,Eat for diet myself. Its an intermittent fasting lifestyle. More flexible than the warrior diet but similar concept.

"Calories are not meant to be counted, but consumed" (I think it is a Garfield quote). Calories restriction may even lead to yo-yo effect and weight gain again. If you eat real food with plenty of healthy fat and protein, and lots of vegetables, you will be alright. If you do your S&S, and move a lot, you will be alright.

Don't think of a diet (and the training program) as temporary fix, but diet in the original meaning, ie. δίαιτα, "way of life". Lifting some weights, enjoying steak and vegetables, walks in the nature? Life is beautiful indeed :)

Thanks a lot for the advice. I think I'll do the S&S for 12 then PTTP for 12 and just follow a cleaner diet like Paleo again. Perhaps incorporate some intermittent fasting as well.

Caine,

I've had very similar goals and the last year has been pretty successful (I've lost 77lb in total) doing swings and get-ups (5-6 x a week), a bit of rowing machine work for cardio (5-7 km 3x a week) and working in some push-ups (now I can actually do them properly!). What has struck me is that you don't need to kill yourself with exercise to lose weight or get stronger. To be honest I'm not sure the cardio stuff has even done that much for me.

You absolutely do need to eat well.

The S+S programme simplicity really works for me and the volume is reasonable so I don't feel like I'm constantly risking injury (I don't think exhaustion and KBs would be a safe mix).

In terms of food, the simple principals in Fat Loss Happens on Mondays (plan your food, keep a diary, eat lots of protein and few carbs) really resonated with me and I've been experimenting with intermittent fasting 1-2 x a week for the last month or two. Fasting is far easier than I would have ever thought possible and I have seen measurable drops in body fat %. I am absolutely sure I could screw up the good work by ignoring my diet.

Thanks Karl and congratulations on the success so far.

I think my biggest issue with my struggle thus far towards my goal is the fact that I am making these things more complicated than they need to be, never feeling as if I'm doing enough. It's probably just impatience on my part but I'm going to stick to the simple this time around.

Caine... well said for a young man.

All... nutrition is a very individual thing, much more so than physical training, especially the further we get into the age of diabetic infants and obese 2 year olds.  Anecdote is fantastic... it works for many, but I wouldn't say most.

Food choice should be first, this is your "eat paleo" advice, and this gets some of us to where we want to be.  Others have to go into portion control; still others have to find the right mixture of the "right" foods.  Fasting dooms some of us, especially the fairer gender.  Less of this is shared here...

Making matters even worse and more complex: once obese (whatever that means to YOUR physiology, not a govt chart), the chances of getting lean are slim to none without restriction.  This energy restriction may/will lead to strength loss.  The additional adipose tissue created by the weight gain + the leptin signal that shrinking fat cells send out work against you.

Can you be healthy and overfat?  Yes, absolutely.  Can you be happy being a little overfat?  Thats up to you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom