all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S and ROP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NJBill

Level 1 Valued Member
With the Program Minimum Revised in S&S, where does it fit in relation to the ROP?

Does ROP better fit some goals, or is ROP recommended if you have the time for the longer ROP sessions, or is there a minimum accomplishment with S&S recommended before moving to ROP?

Thanks in advance.

- Bill

I started training S&S tonight and quite honestly for the first time since I began my kettlebell journey eleven months ago, I'm not looking past the program that I'm starting. If/when the time comes to do something else, I guess I'll know, but I plan to hang on to this.

To answer your question more exactly, S&S isn't presented as a stepping stone as I see it.

Completing either set of goals be it "Simple" or "Sinister" should have tremendous carry over to whatever program you choose to go on to.

I think this is a valid question. Mark Toomey seemed to imply in the other thread that there will be another book that "updates" the ROP. I would imagine this to be aimed at the more advanced kettlebell users.

Don't get me wrong, S&S seems like a great programme for both beginners and more advanced people, and I'll put my wife on it, but the problem I personally have is that I would need to buy a bulldog (40kg) to keep progressing my own training. I would do just that but I just can't afford it, so I'm thinking of going back to the ROP once I finish the 10,000 swing programme with the 32kg, or do some double complexes.

Do what you want?

If you work your Getups well you don't to press. And Swinging covers the pull blanket.

End of really.

I guess over the years the Getup and swings benefits have become more apparent.

GETUP

One of best core exercises.

Will aid your press. Press doesn't aid the getup the same.

Works the anterior chain well.

Strengthens the shoulders and upperback.

Compared to press allows progression with relatively low volume.

Swing

Strengthens posterior chain

Builds  strength and power

Transfers well to many sporting movements

Less risky than the snatch.

Can be easily programmed for variety of ways

Many ways aids back strength, important in many walks of life.

oooooooooooooooooooosssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

They're both great programs, hard to go wrong with either. And they could be cycled. They are different in nature; ROP is, as Pavel has said many times, a pressing specialization program. S&S is more well-rounded (especially if following the warmups). ROP is more strictly laid out, S&S is more flexible; some will like one better, some another.

ROP is 3 days a week, with longish workouts. You can add 2 variety days if you want. S&S is much shorter workouts, and can be done as little as 3 days a week, but can also be trained as many as 6. Some will prefer one, some will prefer the other.

Likewise, the getup seems to be a polarizing exercise; people either love it or hate it. If you love it, as I do, then do S&S. If you hate it and much prefer pressing, do ROP. I think for the vast majority of people I work with, S&S will be a better choice; I think it's some of Pavel's best work to date.

My personal opinion, if you can hit the Sinister goals outlined in the book I would think you should have no problem with a half bodyweight press and the 200 snatches in 10 minutes with the appropriate test weight bell.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom