all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S and Weight Loss

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

PtomeDome

First Post
I have been doing the S&S for two months now and I love it.  I have never felt better.  I feel stronger and have more energy that I can ever remember.  However, I have not dropped much weight on the program.  A big part of this has been due to diet (terrible), which I have made positive changes to in the last two weeks.

Here is my question.  Is S&S good for weight loss if I need to drop about 40 pounds?  I did Skoggs a couple of years ago and lost a bunch of weight.  However, with Skoggs I did not feel as good or as strong as I do with S&S.

Yes, S&S is good as it has both strength and conditioning components. As you probably know already - diet is going to play the biggest role in weight loss.

I plan to lose about 20 pounds soon (holidays), and my plan is to kick-start it with a month of swings (10,000 swing challenge), then get back to S&S. Also, I sometimes finish my S&S workout with 50-100 more swings (2-handed).

A friend and former coach with two ABD Ph.D's in nutrition and experience coaching current athletes on Canadian olympic teams posted this to her blog over the weekend.  It's specifically about limiting carbs to post-exercise windows, but it's really one of the most comprehensive, neutral, and easy to understand posts I've read about what goes into fat loss, why limiting carbs can be helpful, why it can be harmful, etc.  People make this stuff overly complicated IMO.  It doesn't need to be.  Regular folks and elite athletes around the world have success using a variety of approaches to losing weight.

askgeorgie.com/why-limiting-carbs-to-post-workout-only-is-a-scam/

If you're in a calorie deficit, you're going to be successful.  You can be successful using some kind of shock and awe approach or something mild and sustainable over time (like S&S).  Good luck!

Is this the correct link?

<a title="Why limiting carbs to “post-workout only” is a scam" href="http://askgeorgie.com/why-limiting-carbs-to-post-workout-only-is-a-scam/">http://askgeorgie.com/why-limiting-carbs-to-post-workout-only-is-a-scam/</a>

Was pretty outta shape desk jockey when I started S&S.  Been doing S&S for 8 mo.  I have literally changed very little in my diet.  I drink alot less beer and drink more water.  I still eat way to much processed food and sugary treats.  I know I need to do better eating but the results I've had so far is incredible in my mind.

I have lost 34lbs to date and 4.75" on my waist.  I was not a huge guy to start with.  197lb when I started and I weighed 163lb this morning.

To lose fat, most people need to watch their food. This doesn't mean going on a "diet" but you have to have a deficit in there somewhere!

If your diet is terrible, I'd say the first step would be to clean it up and see what happens!

I have tried lots of things but the easiest and most effective way for ME to burn FAT was Intermittent FASTING.  I used the EAT,STOP,EAT method but you may also want to look at the Warrior Diet or leangains.com. IN 6 months I burned off 22lbs of pure body fat. Started with 34" waist 205 lbs now down to sub 32" waist pants ,178lbs @6' tall. Now  upper abs completely visible with lower ones starting to pop in and I feel great. Just an idea.

Hey Mike, I've seen EAT. STOP. EAT. mentioned a few times lately.  Can you describe it without giving too much away?  I'm curious.

Travis, great job!  Please do me a favor and post a review of S&S on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Simple-Sinister-Pavel-Tsatsouline-ebook/dp/B00GF2HP9G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/191-5532134-2881502

Greetings, Mike can you share anything about your path with Eat,Stop,Eat? How many times per week did you fast? Exercise volume since starting the IF; increase, decrease stay the same? Your diet during non-fasting? Anything else you would like to add? Thank you!

if you look around precision nutrion's website i believe they did a review of the Eat stop Eat method.

Eat stop eat is about as simple as you could possibly make it. It just takes some getting used to in the beginning.

Thanks, Scott.  Here we go:  http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting/chapter-3
Eat Stop Eat

(24-hour fast, 1 or 2 times per week)

On this plan, you fast for a full 24 hours once or twice per week, eating sensibly (higher protein, minimizing processed foods, etc.) the rest of the week. It’s flexible: You can choose whichever 24 hours you want. Want to fast from breakfast to breakfast? That’s cool. Just eat breakfast on Monday, and don’t eat again until breakfast on Tuesday. Want to fast dinner to dinner? That’s cool too. Eat dinner on Wednesday, and don’t eat again until dinner on Thursday.
Fun note:  Georgie (the author I linked above) use to coach for them.

I also agree on intermittent fasting. What I do is more like Leangains than Eat Stop Eat, but it's worked well for me.

In its simplest form, you skip breakfast. What you eat as your first meal depends on when you train. Training fasted around lunchtime is good (Leangains adds amino acids pre-workout), then a fairly high-carb meal after your training session. If you train later in the day, have a lower-calorie first meal, then the higher-carb meal after training.

This combined with a paleo-ish diet has worked pretty well for me. Moderately high protein (meat, fish, eggs), enough carbs to fuel daily activity and training (pretty moderate), and some healthy fats. Carbs generally come from veggies, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, and some fruits.

Due to home/family stuff, I haven't been able to stick with this eating plan for more than a couple of months at a time, while staying on S&S. However, I feel confident that S&S plus eating this type of diet would get me where I want to be.

Yeah I do Eat,Stop,Eat 2 days a week. Mon + Thurs. I only eat Dinner on those days. I try to eat pretty clean but on the weekend I have some good stuff like Pizza,Beer,Etc but not over do it.

Currently doing a 3x week KB program and my Light day is Monday. I always train early in the morning in a fasted state and it does not bother me. My other 2 training days Heavy and Medium I do eat.(wed,fri)

So far this has worked very well for me and the fasting is not bad. Tough the first couple of times but after a month of so it is easy and you feel great.

That's great.  It sounds very realistic, especially your weekends :)

I was doing a dinner to dinner fast once a week for about a month last fall.  I was doing it to get back in touch with what hunger feels like and to remind myself that hunger isn't an emergency.  I might try this.  Perhaps once a week just to get going.

Sure no problem. There is also a whole reddit page on IF.

http://www.reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting

I have been using the Fast 5 version of IF for about 13 months to very good effect.  Basically you eat however much you want during a 5 (or 6) hour window that you select and stick to every day.  Generally talk in that crowd is of eating lunch/dinner because those are the most social times for eating. I work out 1st thing in the morning and am REALLY hungry after so I eat breakfast/lunch.  That way I also get to train fully fasted. The whole deal, all the info is free

Fast 5

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom