all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S, bad knees and bent press substitute

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DaveM

Level 2 Valued Member
I've got a friend who's knees can't deal with squats/full getups and what's to do S&S. He's no wuss, true knee damage. He bought the book and has a KB. I recommended that he does as much of the first part of the getups as he can do before his knees stop him, and doing bent presses as a replacement for the getups in the program. I don't know what to substitute for the goblet squats.
Questions: Advice is a dangerous gift, did I give him bad advice? Any better suggestions?

My knees are terrible, complete meniscectomy of the left knee in 1974 (three tears plus encapsulated bone chip removed) and a meniscus "bucket tear" in the right knee, about twenty years old, not repaired.  I'm 65.  I do get ups, but very carefully.  When I don't do goblet squats or full range squats (also carefully) is when I have problems.  Squatting enables me to do things like go for walks without knee pain or instability.  I love S and S, I hope to keep doing it forever.

Thanks Mike. I'm still interested in what could be done with S&S by someone who actually can't do that any more. Is there a suitable substitute for the getup? Etc.

Master SFG Mark Reifkind did swings with a bad knee.. Its best if I let him do the talking :)

I doubt any other kettlebell drill can match the "bang for the buck" of the get up. But I would think the windmill might be a good option for someone who can't get full use out of their knees.

Maybe 5 reps per side of the first steps of the get up (to tall sit, maybe), then do 5 reps per side of windmills, separately.

What's wrong with substituting a press?  Work hips/ thoracic mobility with other drills. I used to do plenty of get ups, and got pretty heavy with them. Never found it the best bang in my opinion. For the goblet squats, your gonna have to find his ROM that allows pain free training. Might be box squats. Of course that doesn't imply barbell only. Try zercher box squats a few times.

"The Swing - A fat-burning athlete-builder". If you can do swings without pain you are in business.

For squat movement try rocking and light Amosov squats.

Do partial get ups and add some push movement like pushups, presses. If you have solid foundation windmills and bent presses will be great as guys above mentioned. You can also try some crawling.

Work around injuries. Avoid any movement that cause pain. Be reasonable.

Dave, if your friend is mobile enough for the bent press, it is a great substitute (along with a 1/4 get-up—to elbow).  As for squats, he should see an SFMA trained doctor and find out if there is a way.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom