all posts post new thread

Old Forum S & S - Core Activation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jhpowers

Level 6 Valued Member
So, if I understand the role of the Hip Bridges in S & S, it is to activate the flutes before doing the swings.  I was wondering whether doing a light version of McGill's Big 3 would server the same purpose to activate the core.  I was thinking of adding Cat/Camel, Birddogs, planks and side planks to my warm up.  I was going to skip the curl up because I thought it might fatigue rather than wake up the core musculature.

The reason that I'm thinking about this is that I still feel like I struggle to have as much core tension in my swings as possible and I thought this might assist.  Does anyone have any experience with trying something like this and is there any reason people can think of not to?

That was up posed to be activate the "Glutes" not "flutes"  I think that I just got autocorrected by my browser.

Hi James,

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't or can't use the drills that you mentioned above.  For example do some birdogs and then try swings, and you will see if it works for you.

Personally i don't need anything what is "core activation" before swings. For some time i perform dead bugs, reverse crunches from Naked Warrior and hollow rocks any morning and it feels great. In exercises the body bracing itself almost.

Just my experience, should be helpful.

James, the primary reason for the bridge is to activate the glutes and stretch the hip flexors.  Your midsection will get active through get-ups—and especially once you build up to decent size bells in both swing and get-up.

Do not overcomplicate.  S&S was designed to anticipate and solve many problems without talking about them.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom