all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S get ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
Sorry everyone, kind of related to an earlier question but thought I'd rename it. So many questions!

S&S prescribes get ups with a low sweep. Is there a specific reason for this? I re-read S&S again on the get up section as I struggled with it today. I've been doing them Kalos Sthenos style with a high hip bridge. I don't have a problem with a high hip bridge, for me it was getting a heavier bell up into the arm post position. So is a low sweep prescribed because not everyone perhaps will have the mobility to do a high bridge? - and therefore is an easier ride in general as it is a less demanding movement. And as a high hip bridge is more demanding - complex even - a low sweep is preferred to keep it simple,  the ethos of the program. This transition is mentioned in Gray Cook's KBs from the Ground Up and 3 progressions are offered at this stage of the get up, a low sweep being the second and a high hip being the more challenging third. Does it really matter what style is used in S&S?

thanks again, that'll be my last question for a while, promise.

cheers

Alistair

As I understand it, the low sweep is strongfirst's test standard for the get up, but I dont think anyone really has an issue with the high hip bridge.

This is good question. I would like to know the answer too. I have always done my TGUs with high hip bridge and this is the only pattern of the exercise I have grooved in my brain. If one day I will decide to do the cert it will ruin the whole effort. I think I wont be able to do it Strongfirst way. This would be radiculos.  Do I realy have to use the less demanding movement ?

But what is the problem with that? Do one set with hip bridge, and another with low sweep.

Turkish get up is wonderful drill, and there is a lot of more ways to get up than low sweep and hip bridge.

I believe adding the high bridge in is to help make it a corrective exercise. When you do the high bridges as a warm up at the start of Simple and Sinister this covers that, so you don't need to do the high bridge in the Getup also with a low sweep you should be able to handle more weight in the getup.And that is the ultimate goal in the getup is to add more weight and be stronger.

I hope that makes sense.

Related:  http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/why-is-the-getup-standard-for-ss-and-strongfirst-the-low-sweep/

I started using the high bridge from the start, and have always had a tendency to hold that position for 3-5 seconds. I remember reading the thread Mike linked to above when it was active.

I think at the time I was in the process of moving up to the 24kg. Being heavy for me, I started using the low sweep more often with the 24kg. I would still occasionally use the high bridge as I built strength.

Also when testing for time (10 minutes per S&S), I use the low sweep. I was able to finish the TGU workout with the 24kg in about 7:30 that way.

Now, I still go into the high bridge, but just pause for a second. However, I will often hold it for 5-10 seconds on the last rep. Once in a while I will hold it for 3-5 seconds on each rep.

When I start to work in the 32kg, I will probably use the low sweep in the beginning.

Thanks guys. That's cleared that up and was near to what I was thinking - low sweep for strength, high hip for corrective. Great, got it, message received and understood. Appreciate the swift call backs too. A great place this is.

cheers

Alistair

As Mark Reifkind says, "it's all easy 'til it's heavy".  Once I hit 40kg with the getup, the high bridge didn't seem optimal for me, personally. And, I came to feel, especially in teaching the getup, that the low sweep method was better. It's also more specific to the things I do (e.g. bjj). That having been said, if you like it and can do it, go ahead.  I'd also like to say the KBFTGU 1 & 2 are both phenomenal, and even if you choose not to use the hip bridge, are both fantastic and well worth owning.

Alistair, the high bridge is a great variation for the more experienced.  If you do it well, keep it in you lighter sets and switch to the sweep when you go heavier.  Going heavier is the goal.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom