all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S impact on pullups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

postnspread

Level 2 Valued Member
If the lats, the shoulders and the "core" are taken care of by swings and GUs, this by itself should lead to at least some improvements in pullups. Now swings and GUs seem to me to be essentially straight-arm isometrics (except for the shoulders) whereas pullups/chinups have an important component of arm flexion and biceps strength. So to substantially improve pullup numbers, is a separate regimen required? What about MPs?

Is the Pullup thing a want or a need or an enjoyment factor?

Im guessing you enjoy Pullups?

With S and S I don't believe you need  worry about pressing if your doing.

I always one arm pressed the bell out when on the floor. I believe you do this at the start of the getup your getting bit more from the drill. Which would remove your concern bout being purely straight arm isometric.

But personally you got the time resources and desire I don't see any reason why you could not add pullups.

Pullups so an important aspect of strength isn't neglected. I'm always on the lookout for ways to reduce training time without sacrificing benefit. I enjoy physical activity but the time for it is limited. So if S&S makes bodyweight pullups redundant, that's great news.

If your not climbing calls or need to pull yourself daily if your really pinned for time Im sure you could do without it. Difference between want, need and enjoyment.

Pavels view as always been a big Pull and press ( getups and swings) mostly fills a comrades strength needs, however, there my be those who need the upper body strength that chins/pulls provide.

Ill give me as an example , I do as much as necessary, I don't chin cause my job though physical, ( I carry kit and face violent threat now and then) doesn't require much upper pull strength.

I do goblet squats as I believe the add extra strength to the knees and hips which I do need. Needed for me.

Up to you!

I had the same question.  So let's experiment.

Unless you have a test or event you need to prepare for ( I don't), follow the plan as written, trying to get in 3-6 sessions or S&W per week for 3-4 weeks.  Then, grab a bar and go to town, see what happens.  Pavel suggests doing occasional challenges in the book, so this'll fit right in.

Consider pull-ups like your desired sport. S&S can give you improved general conditioning, but you will still need to practice your specific sport/activity to get the full benefit.

If your goal is to improve pull-ups while on S&S, perform S&S PLUS Pull-ups... ideally train your pull-ups at a different time of the day.

Very useful comments all.

@ Aaron Very interesting. The professional's needs vs the hobbyist's preferences!

I'm awaiting my copy of S&S so forgive me if this has been covered, but what about pullups for someone who wants to add some "width" to their upper body?  I am planning on following the S&S program but am curious if there is room to add pull ups, or a press, etc?  Or should I just wait til I get my copy:) ?  Thanks!

@Jon. Permit me to respond with a limerick.

A cheerful old bear at the zoo,

Could always find something to do.

When it bored him, you know,

To walk to and fro,

He reversed it and walked fro and to!

If you don't get it, wait till you read the book!

Swings by themselves do a great job of at least maintaining, and often improving, pullups. I don't practice pullups anymore (may go back to it in the spring), but every 6 months or so I test myself, and can always do 10-14 dead hang, dead stop, neck to bar pull-ups, 5 reps with a 16 kg bell on my foot, and 1-3 reps with a 24. I've worked up to a double with a 32 in the past, and from experience I know I can get back to that with about 2 weeks practice, if so inclined.

Since I have no specific need to hit any pullup numbers right now, that's more than enough for me. If I compete in a TSC, I might go back to working on it at some point, but otherwise, I don't have much need for it right now.

@Jason. In your experience how common is it to be able to maintain or improve pullups with just swings and TGUs? I seem to recall an anecdote in ETK or some other writing by Pavel in which a soldier says his pullup numbers went up strongly with just swings (and possibly snatches).

In my experience, it's very common to maintain or improve. The numbers that I posted for me are pretty standard, perhaps even a bit conservative for some.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom