all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S MMA

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

andrewsisia

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey I loved the article for MMA, was wondering instead of push press could I subsiture with regular strict press? Also is there any way to incorporate kettle bell rows? I like having a big upper back :) thank you !

Now I am not Pavel,I am not even an SFG(yet it's coming up in Nov...) but I am pretty sure that the Push Press is there for POWER development in the quads and arms. You can do anything you want but I think Pavel had that for power development.

Hello Andrew

I am glad you like the article. Answers:

- no, don't substitute push press with military press. Swings and push presses are ideal power combo for a fighter.

- no, don't add kettlebell rows  - you are pulling every training session (swings)

- how many days - depends on your fight schedule. In "off-season" our fighters do the protocol almost daily, 4-5 times a week. When the fight approaches, 2-3 days a week.

- neck bridging - 2 sets of each, cca, 20 reps, once or twice a week. Don't forget that your clinch work = neck strengthening as well.

Pavel, thank you for confirmation - and awesome simplex program. It delivers.

Andrew, one of our fighters - Ondrej Skalnik - just won 2 MMA fights in one night at HFC 9 in Györu (Hungary) this weekend. He fought 2x5 and 3x5 minutes fights.

Ondrej wrote me:

"Strength & conditioning was the key to my victory - my opponents run out of gas in the first round, and I could continue to do my work. I was also stronger then them."

Note: Ondrej (fighting currently in the -61 kg division) is doing "just" straight S&S, to the letter - we even didn't include the push presses yet, as his get-ups are currently at 28-32 kg.

Big upper back doesn't win the fights - strong fighters do. Let me rephrase that: StrongFirst fighters do.

Just curious about body composition. How has S&S impacted it? Has the push press benefitted?

Hunter, Ondrej is fighting in -61 kg division, he has to take care of his weight - and he is doing that by practicing his S&S, MMA, and following adult eating habits (I call it semi-vegetarian diet - meat and vegetables). Please refer to the article for details.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom