all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have decided to move back from 40 to 32. I have to wait too long between sets with the 40 and I can't maintain my single handed swings with it. While I can handle the TGU fine with the 40, I am able to simply hold the postures longer with the 32 and get probably BETTER exercise from that. The 32 overall feels like a great athletic, sporty WORKOUT, just right for me, whereas the 40 feels like a big CHALLENGE. I'm in this for the sporty workout and not to overwhelm myself. I hope I naturally progress to the 40 over time, but I'm also wondering if once you go past a third of your bodyweight if you're into some kind of weird new realm of endeavour where the rules work differently!

I have decided to move back from 40 to 32. I have to wait too long between sets with the 40 and I can't maintain my single handed swings with it. While I can handle the TGU fine with the 40, I am able to simply hold the postures longer with the 32 and get probably BETTER exercise from that. The 32 overall feels like a great athletic, sporty WORKOUT, just right for me, whereas the 40 feels like a big CHALLENGE. I'm in this for the sporty workout and not to overwhelm myself. I hope I naturally progress to the 40 over time, but I'm also wondering if once you go past a third of your bodyweight if you're into some kind of weird new realm of endeavour where the rules work differently!
Hi kozushi, maybe you should re-read the book or some of the blog posts that deal with progressing past "Simple". Reading your posts it sounds like you are trying to simply use the 40k instead of the 32k. This is NOT how it is done in the book and there are several other approaches you can find reading the articles on this site.

From S&S, the simplest and most basic strategy:
"Gradually replace your current training weight with a heavier weight, one set at a time."
Tsatsouline, Pavel. Kettlebell - Simple & Sinister (Kindle Locations 1564-1565).

And a more structured approach from Pavel: From Simple to Sinister: Waving Volume on S&S

I don't know if he means I should use the heavier bell one day a week when I "own" it or every day.

Definitely going above 1/3rd bodyweight is going past some kind of natural threshold. How I got to 32 from 24 was to switch to the 32 for all swings but double handed and then gradually starting to replace the two handed sets with single handed sets. It doesn't seem that things work the same way going from 32 to 40 as from 24 to 32.

I don't know if he means I should use the heavier bell one day a week when I "own" it or every day.

Definitely going above 1/3rd bodyweight is going past some kind of natural threshold. How I got to 32 from 24 was to switch to the 32 for all swings but double handed and then gradually starting to replace the two handed sets with single handed sets. It doesn't seem that things work the same way going from 32 to 40 as from 24 to 32.
What do you mean? Just re-read the chapter "The goals and how to reach them". On kindle Location 1429 there is a picture that shows you how it is done properly. Going beyond the Simple goal you are NOT supposed to use the heavier KB for all the sets all at once.
do not jump the gun by upping the weight in all the sets. Gradually bump up a set here, a set there.

Add weight to the second or third set.

Stay with one heavy set as long as needed to feel ready to add a second.

There is no specific number of workouts with a given number of heavy sets before adding another.

Add no more than one heavy set per training session.

What do you mean? Just re-read the chapter "The goals and how to reach them". On kindle Location 1429 there is a picture that shows you how it is done properly. Going beyond the Simple goal you are NOT supposed to use the heavier KB for all the sets all at once.
Thank you. That's awesome. I'll start on that today - doing either 5 or 10 reps per arm only today with the 40 and then switching back to the 32 for the rest.
I guess there isn't any special directive on the TGU weight progression vis a vis the swings, but even though I can do the TGUs already with the 40 I think I'll wait until I can do all the swings single handed with it first before doing the TGUs with it too.

Thank you for the advice. It would be nice not to stagnate at the 32 but instead to keep progressing to the 48.

I did two ROP cycles last night with the 32 instead of S&S because it was getting a bit late for a full workout.

I don't know... the C&P seems a pretty awesome exercise using the whole body. I'm pretty impressed with it and very much like it. I just think snatches are crummy compared with heavier swings, if I compare S&S with the full ROP programme. I might start making up my own programming a bit since I have indeed owned Simple, VERY owned Simple! Ah, but I'm not giving up the TGUs.

I think I'm going to risk overtraining for a while and go back to a routine I used to do where I did a full ROP cycle before starting the S&S programme for the day. We have to fine tune things for our own bodies and needs.

Okay, so having experimented again with the ROP cycles added onto S&S, I decided that the clean and press can be replaced with the military press, since the clean is more or less a repeat of the swing and can therefore be dispensed with. Pressing the 32 several times in a row a few times a day seems like a very minor thing to do, but I can clearly see and feel my entire upper body getting the benefit of this "touch up" or "add on" exercise, after about a half week of this. The military press is ergonomic and excellent to do with a kettlebell. It isn't the best press out there, which is the bench press, but I'm not buying a bench press station, and the kettlebell military press is still a great exercise, taking no time out of my day and bequeathing nice benefits!

In etk in the Rop section it is said to do c&p on heavy and middle day. But on light dat you can do military presses. Kind of change.

But there is nothing wrong doing your own plan. Do what you enjoy and you will keep doing it instead of hopping around.

Good luck

In etk in the Rop section it is said to do c&p on heavy and middle day. But on light dat you can do military presses. Kind of change.

But there is nothing wrong doing your own plan. Do what you enjoy and you will keep doing it instead of hopping around.

Good luck
Yes, I noticed that and it's interesting. I'm not actually doing ROP. What I was doing was to borrow the idea of C&P ladders from ROP and I was doing one or two C&P ladders every day in addition to S&S. What I've started doing recently is to do simple military presses instead of C&P. As the book says, military presses are better for hypertrophy than C&P is, and I admit that it's getting more definition to my upper body that is motivating me to add in the presses on top of the alread excellent GPP programme I'm already following.

Hello,

I also like tai otoshi and ko soto gari ;)

My 2 cents

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've been doing the swings with the 40kg kettlebell mostly two handed for a while now. I find the single handed swings with the 32 just WAY TOO EASY. My problem with the 40 is grip strength. When I was doing pullups along with S&S I was indeed able to do the swings single handed with the 40kg bell. I have to get back into them.

Anyhow, even though I'm doing the swings mainly 2 handed, my body is very toned and strong! I look great and feel even better!

I solved the problem today with duct tape. I wrapped duct tape around the handle of my 40kg bell and it gave me enough friction to enable me to do the entire S&S routine SINGLE HANDED for the first time ever, today!!! I'm thrilled!!! My handle used to be too slippery without the duct tape wrapping it.

Hello,

Did you try chalk to give you extra grip strength ? There is solid and liquid chalk.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Did you try chalk to give you extra grip strength ? There is solid and liquid chalk.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I do my workout in my living room so I don't want to spill chalk onto the floor. The duct tape does the trick. I've wrapped it around my pullup bar already many years ago to good effect. I just never thought of doing it with my kettlebell too.

I did a lot of hiking and snow shoveling the past two days and so I took them off of S&S.

I've been happy doing S&S with the 32. I'm going to stick with it for a while.
I'll restart kendo this week. I miss it too much. It's only once a week anyhow and I certainly can find time for that, since I love it so much.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom