all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S one step forward one back?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chris F.

Level 3 Valued Member
Ladies and Gents, so I'm really cruising with the program. I've managed to really get into the one arm swing the last few months and have attained 100 swings one arm with 24 in five minutes. BUT, my TGU is plummeting. About two months ago I managed two training days of all ten with the 32. Now I'm lucky to get two and usually only one rep each with the 32. I'm guessing this is the price for really pushing the swing? The 100 one arms are much harder than the same standard with two hands. I'm guessing I might have to dial back the swing a bit by adding some 32 reps but lengthending the time.

Any thoughts? Just normal ebb and flow? It's really tough on the left arm. Lots of "tomahawking" and can't just seem to get the left near as good as the right.

TIA!

Chris,

How long are you resting in between the swings and GUs?  Are you pushing to get the 24 in 5min because there is that golden carrot, I mean, goal out there?

One should let the conditioning aspect of this program happen naturally.

My performance on the TGUs similarly decreased when I stepped my swings up to the 32 kg. That was only a couple weeks ago, and I assumed it was a matter of adjusting to the full amount of 32 kg swings.

Hi Al, I'm taking a good five minutes between. No way can I do the TGUs after only a minute. I've just hit the 100 in five. I have to say, if I add only about a minute or even a little less to the swing sets (have timer at 30 seconds per each set, so say doing each 10 rep set in 35-40 second sets  is much easier.)

Each set of ten swings takes about 17 seconds for me so I'm beyond the 1:1 at this point. Not sure I can one arm swing 10 times in 15 seconds. Two hand yes but that's a different animal.

I reckon soon I'll start adding some reps with the 32 and at that point I won't worry about the timer. Was just trying to hit that conditioning goal as it were. I suppose then that there is "waviness" by having to lengthen the rests when adding heavier weight. I can't imagine how long it will take to to do 100 with the 32 in 5 minutes.

Thanks for the reply!

Chris, your experience sounds very similar to mine.  I started adding the 32 in two weeks ago because the 24 was at that point of no big deal.  My sets of 10 took 16 seconds.

I started by doing 8 sets of 10 at tempo with my 24, then played with the 32 for the final two sets.  That went OK, so I went to 6x10 w/24, then 4x10 w/32.  That's been my sticking point.  The getups have gotten very difficult.  I feel smoked after 1 per side with the 32, and 2 per side with the 24.

I've been thinking about ordering the 4kg kettlebell buddy to screw into my 24kg Punch bell to make it a 28, but I want to stick it out for another week to see what happens.

Hi Chris-  Funny post in a coincidence context for me.  TGU's are strong for me, but I'm struggling with the swings.

I'm pretty much cruising with 8 x's 32kg TGU, with the first 2 reps at 24kg. 10 x's 32kg will be easy very soon.  Punch-the- clock easy.

Nailing the 24kg swings is another matter.  I can definitely get it done it in 5min if I set the timer, but the power is not there in the last reps of the last sets.  I've been experimenting with the breathing tips from S&S book to see if that's the edge I need.   3 measured breaths between swing sets today was brutal....

I'm guessing we're all a bit different.  My suggestion for you would be to just spend more time.  Don't rush TGU.  Just keep working them and they will come.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. The more I think about what Al said, the more I'm convinced I'm rushing to hit that 5 minute mark. I've done it two workouts in a row (notice I didn't say "practice") and I was practically dry heaving at the end. That can't be sustainable. I really feel like I'm ready to add in a little 32 here and there so I'll just go without the clock. I'm also not letting myself have easier days with swings (TGUs yes because I have no choice).

Have to keep it a practice and maybe if I do that I can actually get more sessions in a week instead of always having a day off in between.

Chris,

Right.  You can try and crossfit yourself into higher conditioning, or, you can go in and practice your movement technique and breathing exercises, and follow your conditioning as you body adapts to the stress - I think that this latter version in called the StrongFirst method.

You've got it - work the heavier bell in little by little.

Patience is the first step to mastery.

Al- So true...

> or, you can go in and practice your movement technique and breathing exercises, and follow your conditioning as you body adapts to the stress – I think that this latter version in called the StrongFirst method.

That's where I'm at for sure.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom