all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S plus pullups and dips?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ryanrbjj

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello,

a little training background.. I train jiujitsu 3-5 days a week. I formerly did 5/3/1 strength program and saw good results but kept gravitating towards the kettlebells at my gym. I also love to do pullups and dips. Weighted and unweighted. I weight 210 anod can do 15-20 dead hang chin-ups.

ive been doing a total workout consisting of  a squar , hinge , push , pull, and brace. Typically , goblet squat , trap bar deadlift, pullup and dips. But I would like to simplify my workout even more. I bought a 24KG kettlebell and am going to do the S&S program, but it would like to add pullups and dips. I like my workout to be flexible, portable, and can do it any day.here's my questions.....

for the pullups and dips.

Should I do them every workout day? Stooping short of failure?

should I do ladders?

Should i do straight sets? Say, 5 sets of 10?

my goal is to get stronger, not bigger. to perform the sinister on S&S. And to be able to perform the spetnaz test for pullups

thank you

Hi,

for getting stronger I would absolutely recommend doing Pullups and Dips weighted with a dip belt or rucksack (this will automatically increase rep numbers without weights, up to a certain point at least).

Stay between 5 and 3 reps per set, get yourself enough rest between sets. Leave 1-2 reps as reserve every set, not going to failure. Feel free to train both exercises every day, but take a day or two off when you feel that your body needs time to regenerate. You could also think about alternating dips and get-ups every session, to reduce the stress on the shoulders.

The ladders from ETK or Pavel's grease the groove concept should all work very well. Once in a while you could do the Warrior Pullup program. Vary the weight or set/rep scheme regularly to keep things fresh.

Of course this isn't "pure" S&S anymore, but given the relatively low volume of the program a few extra exercises won't hurt you.

Great thanks. Ive done my 3rd consecutive day of S&S and it feels good I've alternated the pullups and dips every other day. am I doing my ladders correctly ? For pullups and dips I did 4 ladders. The first 2 sets were up to 5 reps and the last 2 sets were up to 4 reps. The total was 50 pullups and 50 dips. Is this too many ladder or should I do them a different way? Thanks

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom