all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S Questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jpk

Level 1 Valued Member
A little background.  In March I found out I had a herniated cervical disc.  After trying many different treatments I am back doing most of the stuff I was able to do.  However, still very cautious!  I am pretty strong on basic lifting movements but while swings & TGU are not difficult for me I do feel weaker especially on the swings.  Maybe some part mental but my posterior chain definitely needs to strengthen.

Having said this, I started with 12kg on TGU and 16kg on Swings.  Quickly I am at 16kg on TGU and 20kg for swings.  This is all doing 5 sets of 10.  My thought process was to get to the standard of 16kg for TGU & 24kg swings prior to upping the volume slowly to 10 sets then thinking about further weight increases.

Is this the correct path?  I am pretty comfortable with the 16kg on TGU and could add another set or two.  However, still not there with the swings.  Should I wait?  What would you suggest?

Pavel,

I am not in pain from the disc anymore.  I saw many Dr.'s over the time period when I was and received all different kinds of advice.  One thing for certain was as soon as I stopped moving it would only get worse.  Movement has helped and only makes me feel better.  The only movement I was told by more than one to avoid was heavy overhead presses.  Again, this was several months ago and I am feeling good now.  The swings don't hurt me I just don't feel as structurally strong when doing them at a heavier weight.

The question was more on the best approach to add either weight or volume and if my current thought process was correct.

I look forward to your thoughts!

In addition, what about adding squats to the program?  Would there be a conflict here or would you consider the TGU especially when reaching 10 sets to be sufficient?

Justin, if your doctor does not object to the S&S regimen and it does not hurt you, follow it exactly.

Since using 20kg for swings and 16kg for TGU.  Should I first increase the volume or first get to 24kg on the swings per the standard written in S&S.

Also, please excuse me as I know this is in the book but I can't find it again.  I thought I read you are supposed to reach 10 sets of swings before increasing volume on TGU...  Is this correct?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom