all posts post new thread

Old Forum S&S - When to progress on swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Michael Corrales

Level 3 Valued Member
Wow…been on S&S for two months with 40 sessions under my belt now.

This program is an inch-wide and many-miles-deep in my opinion.

I've been on the 24kg since the beginning for swings.  If I set my interval timer, I can crank out 100 chest level in 5 min pretty much any time.  But I'm breathing really hard somewhat out of control prior to finishing an not 100% are as explosive as I'd like.  I've lately been practicing the breath control drills with 3, 4, or 5 slow abdominal breaths between sets all the way through.  3 slow breaths for all 10 sets almost killed me this weekend :]  I've not yet practiced the straw breathing and know I need to.

I did the swings drill at different effort levels and 70-80% effort yields me the most powerful swings.  So I try to stick there.

Question, finally - When should I start working into 32kg swings? Should I keep with the 24kg until it is so easy I can readily talk between sets?  Thanks for any advice...

I wouldn't overthink it too much, just try a session with the 32kg and see how it goes. If it's absolutely too heavy, go back to the 24, but then you said you already meet the goals for it so you won't make much progress compared to introducing a heavier weight. I personally would aim to just work with the 32kg, and forget about any timing intervals. Just do 10 explosive reps, then rest as much as you want, then go again when you're fresh, etc. Your system will get a shock but you'll adapt and the rest time will come down naturally. After 1 month or so get your timer back out and only then start worrying about bringing the time down.

(I'm not an SFG, just basing this on my own experiences as a hobbyist)

Definitely start mixing in the 32, and like FP said, ignore the timer. Until I hit all 10 sets with a new weight I don't even use a watch.

Working the 32 will make the 24 feel like a toy. After working up to 10 sets with the 32 I could crush the 100 swings with a 24 without putting the bell down.

Make sure to include lighter days with the 24, and do not feel like you have to add heavy sets every workout. Listen to your body.

I agree. I'm not a stickler for the time goals, but I had the 24 down to about 5:30 when I started mixing in the 32. I'm now using the 32 for two of my sets, and the 24 is already feeling much lighter. I breeze through my sets with the 24 almost like it's a toy, as Andy said above. When I was just starting to add in the 24 a few months ago, it felt too heavy, and I couldn't even get a full set of 10 with one hand. I had to do 5L/5R

Now, the 32 is heavy, but I'm able to get 10 full reps with each hand in each of those two sets I'm using it for. I'm not going to rush it though, I don't think I'll add any more sets with the 32 for a little while.

Great input all...thanks.  And might as well listen to the author of the book :]

Will work 32kg swings in.  Looking forward to it.  Makes sense that the 24kg will feel light once I accommodate to the new load.

Got a fast, good session in this AM with no interval timer.  Cranked out 100 one-hand swing reps 24kg in ~5:15min without breathing too hard.  Got 10 32kg's done in just under 8min without rushing.  Was some work for sure, but not too hard.

I think the 32kg swings will keep me busy for a while adapting.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom