all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Sandbags, weighted vests... and stairs?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

steve-in-kville

Level 5 Valued Member
I may have touched on this a few months ago. one of my favorite bad weather workouts is doing stair climbs weighted down. I understand the going up part is beneficial, but does the going down side have equal benefits? Or can I do more damage than good? I'm doing this on our staircase, BTW, not a machine.

I may have touched on this a few months ago. one of my favorite bad weather workouts is doing stair climbs weighted down. I understand the going up part is beneficial, but does the going down side have equal benefits? Or can I do more damage than good? I'm doing this on our staircase, BTW, not a machine.
Good question….
If you have ever done any hiking on steep trails you will be aware that coming down is a lot different than going up. The steeper and rockier the terrain the more the quads take a beating. (Also how fast you descend i.e impact loading) So yeah… going down stairs weighted will be a ‘quad workout’, but it’s also very hard on the cartilage and connective tissues. Almost all old mountaineers I know have dodgy knees.

One of the first exercises for my knee rehab ( after forcing my leg to bend haha ) was standing a foot away from a wall and lowering into a one legged wall squat. The physiotherapist told me lowering was very good for knee strength. Coming up I used both legs. It worked pretty well

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom