all posts post new thread

Old Forum SF v. ETK ROP program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Beowulf

Level 1 Valued Member
I have been doing the ETK Right of Passage program for several years.  I bought the simple and sinister book (it's great by the way) and was struck by the difference in the two programs.

My questions is: How do the objectives of the two programs differ?  Is SS aimed at achieving a different result that ETK?  What different results might one expect from the two systems?

(Background:  I'm 47, male, desk job, busy life. I made the 200 snatch --once-- but not the press , only pressing the 40K for one rep.)

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm sure you'll get a  lot of different answers but, if I may quote Pavel, our principles don't change but our methods are always evolving - and that's your explanation right there.

S&S is a much more general program.  Pressing and snatching are more specific skills, skills with great carryover to many things, but still more specific than the swing and the getup.  S&S aims to be your foundation for almost any athletic endeavor or simply for a life well-lived.  Both programs are applications of our principles.

The changed order of exercises is much more than just that - it reflects recent research into the many beneficial effects of explosive lifting on both athleticism and body composition.  Part II of S&S talks about all these things.

I suggest you give S&S a try and plan on returning to the ROP at some point in the future - S&S could be just what you need to get you to your half bodyweight press.  Let us know how it goes for you.

-S-

Beowulf - I was a newbie to kbs a few years ago and I did etk with a 16, program minimum and rite of passage (not 1/2 bw press goal, mind just 5x5 with the 16 and pull ups). Currently doing S&S with a 32 and once the simple goal is achieved will do rite of passage again with the 1/2 bw press as the goal. They are different programs obviously the major difference for me is the programming within each of them. I found ROP difficult to figure out and, at the time, fit in with work/family etc and as I have been thinking about doing it again soon have already been mapping out a plan, albeit with a bit more experience. I remember it being pretty tough going. S&S is a much easier programme to plug in with daily comings and goings. I know exactly where I am with it. Also I never feel it to be too challenging compared too, as I remember it anyway, the ROP. Knowing what I know now and had S&S been magiced up a few years ago I would have done S&S. I'm only a user but you would really benefit from a dose of S&S. I have surpassed what I thought I would be able to do. I'm not at the simple goal yet but I had to pinch myself when I finished 10 get ups with a 32 this week. Given that I could not get up off the floor with a 24 back in late April/May -ish and had an injury flare up on my knee and needed time off, I find that level of gain astonishing. Give it a shot, you maybe surprised too.

Steve and Alistair,

Thank you for taking the time for the thoughtful responses.  That helps answer my question.  I've started that program and will indeed let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,,

B

S&S is great.  ROP seems like a problematic program for many people - at least beginners like me.  Lots of strained elbows and shoulders from not having the experience to progress at the right pace.  And its kind of finicky in the sense that if somehow life is such that you can't train for a couple of days then it puts the whole thing out of rhythm.  S&S on the other hand, is kind of idiot-proof and well...simple.  You try to do it every day.  Then when you miss a day or two here or there its no big deal, you simply carry on.  It's not the sexy stuff, but over time it works surprisingly well...largely because it never puts you out or gives you an excuse.  Even when you're overworked, underslept and underfed you can always simply dial it back a bit without using too much brain power.  If I'm particularly worn out I drop down to 40%-60% of the normal volume, or if things are really hectic but I have a bell handy its easy to just GTG a bit.  Its easy to stick with so you just build good habits and meanwhile your body just seems to slowly but surely get stronger without the usual two steps forward one step back or occasional aches or pains from something like ROP.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom