all posts post new thread

Old Forum SFG Certification

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mark McDonagh

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi all. First time posted here. I've spent the last while trying to figure out if Strongfirst or RKC is the better certification for me to aim for. I've spoken to both SFG'S & RKC'S to get some insight and considering everything, I'm now convinced that Strongfirst is the one for me.

I've started training using Brett Jones brilliant template, adjusting it to where I am now. I'm making slow & steady progress. Hopefully looking to cert in 2015, all going well.

I'm wondering if anyone could point me to any good articles on the SFG Cert weekend, written by those that have completed it. Have loads of questions but hoping there might be some articles out there that'll answer my questions. Thanks.

You won't find articles per se about the cert weekend, but you'll certainly find blog posts on individual blogs by people who've taken the training.

You can ask here.

-S-

Thanks Steve. A couple of questions I have are:

- Can chalk be used throughout the weekend?

- Outside of the obvious, want kind of supplements do people use over the weekend? Creatine etc?

- Do candidates use bells heavier than the 24kg throughout the certification or should my prep concentrate on drills with the 24's only.

Thanks again.

Chalk - yes.

Supplments - has nothing to do with the training, take what you like as long as it's legal and safe.  Good judgement is something we look for.

Preparation should appropriate for you.  Some people, e.g., those who can easily press heavier than 24 kg, will likely choose to do so much of the time.  Your teachers may ask you to use a bell that represents an appropriate challenge for you at times, but the testing is done with the weights given in the cert information.  Your job is to be prepared to pass those tests.

-S-

Hi Mark,

I think Brett's template is great and even better with his more recent updates, but I'm wondering where you are in terms of weight being used. I ask because I think getting a good solid base of strength is needed before tackling Brett's SFG prep. There's a lot of volume in there and I can see someone burning out if they stayed on it for too long. What would I recommend instead to start? The ROP program from ETK (including pullups) until you can finish the 5x5 ladders with your snatch test bell. I would imagine that some might prefer to use S&S up to the Simple goals, but you would have to pair it with something else, otherwise you would be missing out on the technical improvements of the snatch over time. In any case, good luck! It's an experience like no other.

Thanks for the response guys, its much appreciated.

Steve- I ask only about supplementation as I have an interest in sports nutrition and would be interested to hear how candidates fuel their certification weekend.

Joe - weight wise, I'm using the 24kg for nearly all the single bell work. With doubles I've just moved to 20kg bells. The doubles are a different beast altogether but I'm making slow and steady progress.

Have completed the snatch test with the 20kg but still more work to do before completing it with the 24kg.

Volume wise, I'm adapting Brett's template to suit where I am right now. Most weeks, I only get 3 sessions in so at the minute, I wouldn't feel volume is an issue.

Thanks again guys.

Hi my names Ash i recently completed my SFG in Australia whilst i cant link you to my blog of the event, as it isnt up yet, as others have said id be happy to talk about how i felt about it.

My view on Supps would be anything that keeps you feeling great and primed to learn, last thing i wanted was my head to switch off and miss any opportunities. Eg i had a multi vit when i woke up and again before bed, and fish oil.
Throughout the day i drank plenty of water and also had 2 serves of BCAA to drink each day.
Whether it was placebo or not didnt matter it kept me feeling good.

But i was confident on my ability to perform so all of my focus was on learning as much as i could during the event.
How much experience do you have with the various KB movements needed during the SFG?

Hi Ash, thanks for the insight, much appreciated. I've been working on all 6 SFG movements for a while now. Doing all single bell work with the 24kg and working with 20kgs with double kb work. Still quite a bit of work needed on the snatch test and also the tgu but overall I'm not too bad. Taking a slow and steady approach to training. Need to drop some weight before the cert too but that'll happen once I get diet dialled in.

I found the SFG was excellent in that, it was as challenging as you were ready.

But you will see at yours that youve picked to be part of an amazing driven community, that wont hesitate to help in SF.

Matt its " scivation xtend " Ive found BCAA to be one of the few things i just couldnt handle plain.
This one was cheap and managed to make it taste enjoyable

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom