all posts post new thread

Old Forum shoulder pain in windmills?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
When I do windmills I get some shoulder pain about halfway through the movement. It's like the shoulder catches and doesn't want to rotate. Once past that point, it feels fine again. Does anyine know what could be causing that?

Thanks.

do arm bars. and during windmill contract abs and  push out wth hips more..find a synergy between this two.  use support.

Chris, FMS score?  Injury history?  Other movements in which you experience a similar "catch?"  Do you experience this on the way back _up_ from the bottom position?  If you do a second rep without putting the weight down, do you experience the same thing?

Video would be helpful here.

-S-

Thanks for the replies.

Arm bars seem ok except the left side has a little shorter range of motion and there's a neck muscle on the left side that feels like it gets pretty tense.

I feel it going both up and down. A heavier weight seems to help a bit as does JediMind's tips. There isn't really any change with multiple reps.

I also feel it with The Egyptian from Super Joints. There's some clunking during the internal rotation part on both sides.

I've had shoulder issues on the left side related t0 some of the stabilizers but it's improved tremendously. The doctor didn't find any damage or structural abnormalities.

I don't have an FMS score and I would have to recruit some help for a video.

Chris, do you own Pavel's, "Resilient?"  It's got some good tips for shoulder health.

For now, as you do the Egyptian, focus on lengthening your collarbone as you rotate.  I also have clunking as you describe on the Egyptian, but if I do this, it goes away after a few on each side and will stay away for a while.

-S-

The lengthening the collarbone tip seems to make a difference. I can feel some muscles between the shoulder blades contracting.

Chris, get your shoulder checked.  If it is healthy, it could be a technical issue—failing to pack at the transition point.

Pavel,

Shoulder has been checked and it is healthy. I'm told the mobility is good as well. I've been cleared by both the doc and the physical therapist.

I suspect it's a technical issue like you mentioned, or a stabilizer that's not up to speed. The physical therapist I worked with focused mostly on the retractors.

do arm bars and side press from power people. this will fix it. other than that convert to bodyweight for a few. it will surprise you.

here's a good shoulder stretch, i forgot its name, where you go in a bridge position as in thrust your glutes upwards from a sitting position on the ground legs in front of you, knee bent, and hands beside you fingers facing the legs. contract abs and glutes in the end and expand your chest and contract abs glutes more, take one arm up hold it up or bring closer to the other arm.

I just wanted to mention the lengthening-the-collarbones tip has made a big difference. I practice that with the Egyptian and then try to apply it to windmills and, no more pain!

When I think of lengthening the collarbones, I notice it activates some shoulder retractors and the shoulder move back a bit. The left one moves back more and I'm not sure if the retractors aren't strong enough or if the muscles in front are too tight. Probably both so I've been revisiting some of my pt exercises.

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks to Steve Freides for the tip.

Thank Pavel for creating "Resilient" and please get yourself a copy of you haven't already.  And, of course, I'm delighted the tip is working for you so well, Chris.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom