all posts post new thread

Old Forum Shoulder/scapula problems and barbell OHP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ferdi

Level 1 Valued Member
I have noticed that when doing barbell overhead press, my left arm tends to be higher than right arm in lockout. I probably wouldnt even notice it, but barbell overhead press and push press started iritating my left shoulder, so I decided to get to bottom of it.
Also, I noticed that when standing or walking to long, back of my shoulder starts to hurt, somewhere where clavicle meets the humerus I think.

When I filmed myself, I have found that my left arm is higher throughout the press, all the way from the beginning. In the lockout position, my left shoulder seems to be few centimeters above right shoulder. I have googled a bit and it seems I might have slightly winged scapula on my left side, but I am still not sure.

I would like to know if anyone had similar problems what should I do to solve this, I belive left shoulder higher than the right is just one of symptoms and the real cause is probably connected with scapula and overall posture, any help would be preciated.
I should also mention that I am left handed and that my left arm is actually overall stronger and bigger, but when pressing overhead I have a feeling that my right arm is stronger.

Ferdi, I would start with a Functional Movement Screen and see what that says.  After that, a visit with your doctor is probably a good idea, and of course you could reverse the order and see the doctor first, just to find out if there is anything medical that might at issue.

-S-

^ This. I always had that issue (imbalance in OHP) and wondered about it... turns out my SM is 3/2. Some work on that pattern and my overhead position is improving.

I am going to check out FMS, I googled a bit about it and is it possible to be done at home or I need some sort of certified guy to evaluate it?
aris, what would SM stand for?

You need a certified FMS to give you the evaluation.... I had my screening done just the other day and it didn't cost me anything....

http://www.functionalmovement.com/experts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom