all posts post new thread

Old Forum Shoulders and elbows

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

froglicker

First Post
I've been doing Dan john's KB cert prep protocol for the past few weeks.  It's beating the hell out of my shoulders.  I've been training hard for years and I've never had shoulder problems but I've never done this much pressing before.  By the end of the week on the heavy press day my shoulders are so worn out I start to get a low grade ache deep inside.   Has anyone experienced this and is there a remedy?  I'd rather nip this in bud before I injure my shoulders.  I've been doing a lot of halos and thoracic spine mobility drills.

Also for YEARS I've had medial epicondylitis in BOTH elbows.  At one point it was severe and I had to stop training all pulling movements.  I had a bunch of ART done and it helped a bit.  Enough to allow me to train but it never went away.  Franz Snideman showed me a stretch where you lay prone on top of your arms and lift your legs.  It's a pretty intense stretch and it feels like your elbows are hyper extending. So far it's been the best treatment.  But as with ART it only subdues the intensity of the pain.  Is there a way to fix this?  Pullups aggravate it the most.  I've even took a bunch of time of from training to see if they would heal and they did feel good for a bit but as soon as I started to train again it came back in full force.

I'd love to hear any advice that would help.

Never seen Dan John's prep guide but I had a similar issue with Rite of Passage. Take a few days off and maybe get it looked at to make sure there isn't anything wrong.

Let your elbows heal up you might have to lay of lifting for a while.  If you are cleared to lift from your Doc  switch to a program with all straight arm lifts for a while.  :)  Work flexibility and mobility also.   Program minimum or S&S would be a good choice.

If it hurts (or causes pain after the fact) don't do it.

Gary advice is good - switch up programs

if swings and get-ups don't cause any problem then focus there

With elbow and shoulder issues you need to work with a medical pro (hopefully an SFMA PT) and find some answers

I'm currently on a variation of Brett's SFG cert prep program, working toward San Diego in February.  I'm prone to some elbow soreness, so I make sure I don't do snatches and pullups on the same day, and I also always incorporate elbow mobility into my movement prep.  When I had elbow soreness previously, my instructor recommended an exercise in which you take a 12-14 oz soup can, hold it in front of you at waist level as if you would hold a bar for reverse curls, and rotate it left and rght from the elbow for 20-30 reps, then let your arm hang by your side and do the same thing.  It helped then to the the point I stopped having sore elbows; I should probably be doing it now anyway. ..

Oh, there was a third exercise with the soup can.  Hold it in front of you palm down at waist level again, and now raise and lower it, from the wrist, for about 20 reps; then side to side, also from the wrist. Thanks, Michael

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom