all posts post new thread

Old Forum Simple and Sinister for Future Military Doctor

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LoneRider

Level 6 Valued Member
My cousin is currently in medical school and afterward active service in the United States Air Force awaits her. Next summer she goes through officer training for about 8 weeks, and towards that end I've suggested the following to her: Focus on general physical preparation until about 8-12 weeks away from her course and then get more sport specific (i.e. more unloaded running and calisthenics (pushups, pullups, air squats, situps).

As a doctor in training, long hours studying are in the cards for her so for her GPP phase I wrote this out:

M/W/F - Simple and Sinister as recommended for an average woman.

T/Th - Power to the People (5,3,2 variant) built around the overhead press and deadlift.

Run for about 30-45 minutes 2x a week whenever she can fit it into her schedule (Th/Sat were my suggestions).

I also recommended she grease the groove for pushups (3-4x a day do 30%-60% of her fitness test numbers) 5 days a week.

She's not totally sedentary and does work out at her local gym, actually using  Cosgrove's Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess as a guideline. I gave it to her two years ago as a birthday present and its helped her not shy away from strength training.

I warned her to focus, during the general phase, on generalized strength and conditioning, especially strength to build up greater bone density and ligament strength to withstand the constant pounding the running that the officer training course would likely put on her rather small frame.

Just curious if any other, more experienced, trainers have other advice I can dispense to someone preparing for military boot camp/future service.

That sounds like a great opportunity for your cousin, very exciting.  I don't have experience training others, but I do have a lot of experience with boot camp and physical training in the military.  The most dangerous thing for every recruit is getting injured during physical training.  Many people receive lower body injuries while running in formation and hiking with a heavy pack (I'm guessing air force won't have to do the heavy pack).  I think running in formation hurts people because they take short choppy steps on asphalt.  Anything you can do to reduce the likelihood of injury to the lower extremities would be extremely beneficial to her.  It is no fun being stuck in boot camp for an extra 3 months, waiting for an injury to heal.  I think preparing your body to resist injury is the most important physical preparation a person can do prior to shipping out.

Thanks Pete. As an army officer myself I want to make sure she's 100% ready for the slings and arrows her officer training will throw her way.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom