all posts post new thread

Old Forum Simple & Sinister Newbie

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BlufftonSC

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi,

I found StrongFirst though both of Tim Ferris's podcast (long form and Q&A) and have purchased the ebook.  I am attracted to the simplicity and wonder how to steering the correct kettle bell weight.

I know that the weights in the book are suggestions, but is there a way to approximate the best weight to begin with for both the exercises and the "light" weight suggested for the warm up.

Thoughts?

Are you a previous lifter?  How big of a guy are you?

Always start with a lighter weight and work up

Steve,

In addition to what Travis asked... how old are you?  What is your athletic background?  Any injuries/pain?  Do you have access to a range of KBs, or are you asking this in the context of making your own purchases?

Al & Travis,

Thanks for your responses.  42 y/o, and  I'd consider my self a little out of shape.  Solid background in sports, but no regular strength training in over a year.

I am asking in the context of making my own purchases.  I do not have a gym membership, but I'll look for one that may have kettle bells and see about a day pass.  If I am successful going that route, is there a "strength test" of sorts to help me choose what weight to start? What about if I am unable to locate a test set of KB's?

More thoughts are greatly appreciated.

To be perfectly honest, I would buy a 16kg and a 24 kg to start if your finances allow.  You can use the 16kg in a number of different ways including the halo warm-ups if it proves to be too light for you doing S&S.

You will want to start light and dial in your form before you add to much weight or you could really hurt yourself.

Most average men can work with the 24kg nearly from the beginning.  Once that is mastered you can purchase a 32kg.

Are you in close proximity to a certified KB instructor?  Many have a "beginner course" at a very reasonable fee.  Would give access to good instruction regarding correct form as well as a feel for what weight KB's would best fit your current needs.

Thanks Travis. My concern is the opposite, I am wondering if the weights suggested are to heavy.

SB

Don,

Using the search here on Strong First there is not one within 50 miles.  Any other thoughts?

I wouldn’t worry to much about it. I’m not a large guy. I started out using kettlebells about 10 months ago using a 16kg. I am 5’10″ and was just shy of 200lb. I was outta shape and hadn’t worked out seriously in probably 7 years.

I’m now weigh 165lb and am using using the 32kg bell and nearing the simple goal.

Think of the kettlebells as a life long investment. If for some reason the 16kg is just too heavy then buy a smaller one…

Steve, where are you located?... the search on here is horrible. Do a search by state/country and scroll thru the instructors. You would be surprised who is around that the search doesn't return.

Steve, start with a 16kg in that case and see how you get on, best to start where you are and progress. I started just shy of 2 years ago with KBs and strength, the 16kg was too heavy for me, I couldn't even hold the bell in the starting position of a TGU without wobbly arms, so I spent 4 weeks swinging it and that gave me the strength to start TGUs and after couple of months I got the confidence to press it.

Thanks Gents!

Training begins tomorrow.  Coupled w/ the mobility exercises found in "Super Joints", I'm on my way to some functional fitness!

What I did to find a qualified KB trainer is a google search for something like Kettle Bell trainer in "your town/city"  If one pops up I would look at their credentials with preference for SFG/RKC.  Otherwise you might consider attending one of the SFG KB courses after you have been doing some of the movements for a while.  Sometimes it is not a good idea to have to clean up bad form you have cultivated on our own but it really becomes clear what you are doing wrong when a qualified instructor helps you correct the flaws in your movements.  Best of success as you begin your adventure.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom