all posts post new thread

Simple Strength Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

coosbaylarson

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Sinister
I'll be starting the "Simple Strength for Difficult Times" (Program 1) next week. I am very fortunate to have a well-equipped home gym with kettlebells, barbells and plates, ropes, rowing machine etc. and have been training primarily with barbells for approx. 8 months. As the restrictions in my community and state are easing up, I would like to simplify my training to have more time outdoors this summer. My husband and I recently acquired fat tire bikes and riding through the Oregon sand dunes is nothing short of a complete blast. I would also like to be the example to my community that with a very limited amount of equipment one can complete a very successful strength program.

For strength training I'll be using 2 16 kg. kettlebells and a pull-up bar. My exercises of choice are the double kettlebell front squat, the single kettlebell military press and chin-ups. On alternating days I'll do timeless S&S swings with 24-32 kg and either Turkish get-ups or bent press. My job is sedentary so I aim to get in at least 3 10-minute walks per day and spend a few minutes on the Assault bike for warm-up or a quick wake-up when I get home from work.

I'll use this log to record my progress.

Last edited:
Strength training is often approached as an indoor activity, which means one can miss all of the benefits of the great outdoors. But with your interest in cycling on the dunes, it sounds like you will enjoy a nice balance.

Day one completed (yesterday), swings and get-ups today. Double kettlebell front squats are my nemesis. Determined to love them in 8 weeks!

Day two of program:

Double kettlebell front squat (2,4,2) x 2
kettlebell military press (2,6,2) x 2
Chin-ups-bodyweight. (2,2,2) x 2

Performed as circuit. 5:00 a.m. training, good mobility warm-up to start. Ended with warm-up on Assault Bike for two minutes then 5 calories OTM x 5, 2(ish) minute cool-down-wanted to hit 3 total miles.

Feel like I’m shaking the rust off of my double kettlebell front squat and military press technique. Love the simplicity of this program.

I’ve been doing Geoff Neupert’s sore knees solution so started off today’s training with breathing and head control in the sitting positions. Training was pretty simple, 7 28 KG two-hand swings on the minute for 15 minutes followed by 16 kg bent press 1/5 x 5. Ended the session with the SNS breathing and head control in the quadruped position.

Feeling very good for a Friday-I often feel a little beat-up by the end of the week and ready for a day or two rest but all training sessions have left me feeling strong and ready for the day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom