all posts post new thread

Bodyweight skin the cat....before or after training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
Got my rings up again for pulls within rop. Haven't skinned the cat for a while and need to.
I've been doing them light, not done them for a good while, so not yet the full rom....an off day thing, gentle. But so good as they are I'd like to use it a bit more but figure with all that rop shoulder stress could be a lot of grief for the shoulders. And working on the full rom back and forth is a strength exercise on its own and wonder if that is too much within the rop.
So what's the thinking.....before training? As a dynamic prep, not holding too long, more mobilising. Or after, as a stretch, with a hold? Or both? Or leave alone for an variety/off day session?

I think it depends on your build and previous training habits.

A bigger guy coming off a heavy barbell program is probably going to find them more challenging than a smaller guy who's been doing bodyweight work and moves that favour shoulder mobility.

If they are relatively easy for you then you could probably do a bit before &/or after as long you don't detract too much from your ROP work. If they feel like a difficult move you could have to reconsider and just do some limited practice maybe as a cool down after the ROP work or on variety days as you suggested.

Most people progress fairly fast with them though and it just becomes a bit of active flexibility work after a while. German hangs start to become less challenging too after you've practiced them for a while. Big guys and people with shoulder mobility issues normally need to progress a lot slower though.

If you stop just short of your full ROM coming into the german hang position, the move is safer and less challenging too, so you can reduce the difficulty by limiting the ROM. Then you can build on that ROM over the course of a few weeks - don't rush the ROM!

Last edited:
Reactions: ali
So what's the thinking.....before training? As a dynamic prep, not holding too long, more mobilising. Or after, as a stretch, with a hold? Or both? Or leave alone for an variety/off day session?
I think before training as movement prep is a good idea. 5 reps with a short hold is a good starting point.

You can certainly add it after, but I still wouldn't do it as a stretch, or hold it for that long. Rarely do people need the ROM that the GH builds. If you're interested in the Back Lever and the V-sit/Manna, then it's a must to spend longer periods of time opening up in the GH. Otherwise, I don't see that you'd get much out if it as a longer, passive stretch.

A more interesting exercise on rings is the humble Support Hold. Just holding the top of a dip with locked arms and depressed scapulas will build excellent tendon and strength. If you are strong enough to use the Ring-Turned Out position, then even better. Excellent elbow prep. Build up very gradually. It is very demanding.

Those are usually the two main "introductory" ring exercises that will give a great bang without having to dedicate too much training time or energy.

Just my 2 cents

Hello,

Once again, I think it depends.

If ROP is your main training and if you are pretty lean, then, only a few moves at the beginning as a warm up are doable. Otherwise, long sets (more than 5 like @305pelusa wisely said) with holds before ROP can reduce your ROP performance.

However, if your shoulders recover well, it can be an excellent exercise to both stretch and strenghten them (back lever, dip with locks, tuck planche, why not muscle up, etc...).

Basically, if you consider it as an abs work, it might be better to do them after your ROP session or on a light / variety as Pavel advises. Otherwise, before as a light warm up.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Reactions: ali
Thanks guys. Light and gently as a warm up does it.
I'll see how the rop goes but like the top position hold idea for some variety days. My rings have been stored away.....my site, conservatory rafters, is a domestic issue! The turned out top position was something I've worked on in the past with success, so a revisit will be good, never thought about it. I'll edge into it carefully. Again, many thanks for the suggestions and reassurance.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom