all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Sleep cycle app

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I downloaded it last night. Interesting app. Has anyone used it? Has anyone upgraded to the premium version?

I'm using my smartwatch for that purposes as its easy to understand your movements while sleeping with a watch instead of putting your phone in the bed.

Classy smartwatch i u want to check it out

Wanted to try the App but seems pretty invasive having to activate microphone for listening, connecting to facebook account and having to pay to unlock some features...too many privacy concerns just to know that I'm not sleeping enough!! xDD ahahah

I am a huge fan & customer of the Oura ring. I don't believe apps alone can match the accuracy with the accelerometer and microphone alone - not to mention keeping your phone on next to your body while sleeping (EMF).

www.ouraring.com

I was keen on checking the Oura ring as well, but I am currently using my Garmin Fenix watch to track sleep phases. The Aura would also give HRV data.
Since the Auro and Fenix are not exactly cheap, I just do with the watch and measuring HRV on my phone once I wake up.

I use Sleep Cycle, but not the premium version. I think it's great to learn what affects sleep and what doesn't. Now, Like @Mike Torres says, it probably does not have the accuracy of the Oura ring or similar things. If you really want to dig deep into checking HRV and phases of sleep, then it's probably worth it. If you just want to see how different things affect your sleep (alcohol, eating at different times, etc.) you will probably get enough info from Sleep Cycle. Simple cost-benefit analysis to determine if it's right for you.

Somewhat unrelated, but the best thing about Sleep Cycle is the alarm window. Placebo or not, when I use the 30 minute window alarm I wake up much more refreshed. The only bad part is that my wife uses a regular alarm and can go off before mine does, effectively ruining my window alarm. It should also be said - on the few times I don't sleep with her when one of us is away somewhere, I do get different results from my SC app. It's likely picking up her movements in bed as well (not those other movements!) so I can't say how true my data is. Another win for the Oura would be it is (I'm assuming) unaffected by sleep partners.

I pretty much have the same response as @wespom9

I use the free Sleep Cycle and a free HRV app and I feel like I get more than my money's worth. Those two free services plus my own personal observations tend to be enough for me. If I was a competitive athlete, I might be convinced to spring for something fancier.

Blake Nelson

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom