all posts post new thread

Old Forum Smacking my bottom during swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kbkris

Level 2 Valued Member
I most certainly "play chicken," with the bell as it's coming down and then I hinge my hips ready to load up for another swing.

But, I hit my butt with the bell every rep.  It doesn't hurt or anything, but I'm wondering if that's normal.

That does not sound normal. Either you are squatting into the back position or rounding your back to allow your butt to tuck under perhaps. But no, that should not be happening.

Or you may have exceptionally long arms?

Kris, the quick answer is that yes, that's wrong.  Maybe one of the instructors will give you the cue for getting it right.

Kris, I'm interested to hear what others have to say - this happens to me sometimes, too, when aggressively hiking the bell back.  It doesn't happen all the time or even often, though.

Maybe it just means it's time for a heavier weight!

-S-

Never has happened to me that I can remember with big or small bells.  Are you sitting back at the bottom and letting the bell project back to stretch the hamstrings in prep for the launch?

Bell should be projected straight back at the bottom and straight forward at the top of the swing.  Swing should not be projected up at the top like the snatch.  Sounds like you are projecting up somehow at the bottom of the swing too.

I just tried to make the bell respond as Kris and Steve described.  The harder I aggressively loaded the downswing, the further back and deeper my hips had to load to allow the bell to fully travel back before initiating my hip drive forward.

I made the handle flip up and towards me as described keeping my hinge shallow, about the range I would use if catching the bell without adding the over speed eccentric to the swing.  This would make sense on Steve's point as when trying to drive the bell back as fast as possible you're increasing the difficulty of the timing and have to consciously wait an extra fraction of a second or two to completely load the force you generated before beginning to drive the hips back forward.

Kris- I agree with Michael that you are most likely not sitting back far enough and your timing is not allowing the bell to pause for that crucial brief micro second before projecting it forward again.  As to why?  I'd start by looking at your active straight leg raise as most hinge issues (IMHO) are connected to ASLR competency.  Can you perform a toe-touch with your knees locked?

Kris, in high speed photos of overspeed eccentric swings TL Brandon Hetzler took the bell was parallel to the ground in the lowest point.  Make it more of a back and forth movement and less of an arc.

Another possibility: you're not reaching far enough back. I.e. your wrists are contacting your inner thighs, when it should be your forearms.

Kris,

I asked this same question three days ago, but didn't get any response. After looking at the cues here and further experimenting, I've decided that for me "play chicken with the KB" results in a much shallower hip hinge, my wrists contacting the iner thigh and the overspeed eccentric causing the bell to rotate up and thump me in the rear.

Fixes for me are 1) use a heavier bell, the thumping only happens with the 16kg; 2) be less dramatic with the eccentric, go about 80%; 3) forget playing chicken and hinge normally.

Hope that helps.

I'm using the 24kg right now. But I'll definitley do all the tweaking today when I hit the iron. thanks again.

You are not hiking the bell deep enough through the legs.  Your wrist hits your leg - stops - so the bell whacks you in the butt.  :)  Easy fix just do what Pavel said.

First time I read the topic I read it as "smack my bottom during Swings" and just thought what the hell is going on.

On a more serious note I too have noticed this at times but I figured out my own problem before I read this. I just focused on the hike more and it worked well. Good luck fixing yours.

Yeah, I didn't know how to title this thread.  I didn't want to put the word "butt" in a title on this forum for politeness' sake even though I know that would not have been a big deal. 

But, yeah, I was mimicing the movement in front of a full-length mirror today and I could totally see that I was not going far enough back in my "hike."  I see that my wrists were basically hitting my inner thighs. 

I had to widen up my stance just a little bit and that seemed to take care of it.  Now, to actually put that into practice tonight when I get around the bells.

I was able to correct my form last night. thank you to everyone for your help.

It basically came down to widening my stance a little bit more to allow me to hike the bell back further.

Onwards and upwards.

In strength,

Kris

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom