all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Speaking of weight/fat loss...

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
Does muscle building "turn fat into muscle" or do you keep the fat and also build muscle underneath it?

The fat cells shrink and the muscle cells get larger. Or both get larger. Or one gets larger and the other stays the same...Nothing is converted.

If you really pour it on "building" either, you can increase the actual number of fat cells in addition to making existing ones larger, on the muscle side you can increase the number of myonuclei, which allows the muscle fiber to become even larger.

The latter.

Any weight increase will include both fat and lean mass (muscle, thicker tendons/sinew, etc). The ratio of lean to fat can be skewed in favor of lean tissue by a healthy diet: enough protein, and a mix of healthy fat and healthy carbs (vegetables, rice, potatoes, whole grains) that works for each individual.

All weight loss will include both fat and lean tissue mass loss. Resistance training can keep the muscles stimulated to slow the rate of loss. This is usually a balance/tension of performance (how less strong are you willing to get, temporarily, to lose fat mass?) and the fat loss goal. IMO the more muscle you have, the more weight loss skews in favor of fat loss (the body keeps muscle because it’s harder to break down than readily available fat).

Note that for someone both under-muscled and over-fat (the “dad bod”), initial weight loss from “diet and exercise” probably will result in more lean mass and less fat simultaneously. But once “equilibrium” is attained it’s much harder to keep those easy gains going.

Well, I want to lose 12kg, going from 102kg to 90kg like I used to be 20 years ago. So, if I lose all thihs weight over several months I'll also get weaker? I don't like that. :(

Probably will, but 1) you have neuromuscular efficiency you didn’t have before strength training, which will make you stronger (able to lift more weight) than you could at the same weight back then, 2) your new 90kg self will still probably have more muscle mass than the old 90kg you. Both of those are a good base for re-building strength.

If you lose it gradually you should not get any less strong. If you lose weight rapidly you will lose some muscle, but a more modest caloric deficit with training should preserve your muscle mass no problem.
I think you answered a question I have been wanting to ask. I am at 202lbs today. My current DL 1RM PR is 355lbs. I was hoping to reduce my B/W by 15lbs at the same time increase DL by 20lbs to make it 2xB/W DL. I suppose this is doable, just take it easy with the weigh loss, i.e. do it slow.

I think you answered a question I have been wanting to ask. I am at 202lbs today. My current DL 1RM PR is 355lbs. I was hoping to reduce my B/W by 15lbs at the same time increase DL by 20lbs to make it 2xB/W DL. I suppose this is doable, just take it easy with the weigh loss, i.e. do it slow.

It is a war of small amounts unfortunately. It is a lot easier to go into a guaranteed caloric deficit, overshoot and build back up, easier to go into a guaranteed caloric surplus, overshoot and slim back down.

But it also leaves you no further off maybe than if you did it the slow way, except that you really have to pay more attention to your weekly averages and more strict with the diet.

The latter.

Any weight increase will include both fat and lean mass (muscle, thicker tendons/sinew, etc). The ratio of lean to fat can be skewed in favor of lean tissue by a healthy diet: enough protein, and a mix of healthy fat and healthy carbs (vegetables, rice, potatoes, whole grains) that works for each individual.

All weight loss will include both fat and lean tissue mass loss. Resistance training can keep the muscles stimulated to slow the rate of loss. This is usually a balance/tension of performance (how less strong are you willing to get, temporarily, to lose fat mass?) and the fat loss goal. IMO the more muscle you have, the more weight loss skews in favor of fat loss (the body keeps muscle because it’s harder to break down than readily available fat).

N=1, but I will disagree. Through strength training and healthy eating over a span of four years, I went from 154 lbs down to 147, with zero change in muscle mass. Measured multiple times with a bioelectrical impedance machine, and muscle mass always fluctuates within a 1.2 lb range (attributable to machine margin of error) but has never gone down.

Well, I want to lose 12kg, going from 102kg to 90kg like I used to be 20 years ago. So, if I lose all thihs weight over several months I'll also get weaker? I don't like that. :(

Not necessarily. If you do it the smart way, you might even get stronger while cutting fat.
Also, you can actually improve your body composition while gaining weight, even if some of that weight comes from fat. If you gain more muscle relative to fat your bf % will drop.

Not necessarily. If you do it the smart way, you might even get stronger while cutting fat.
Also, you can actually improve your body composition while gaining weight, even if some of that weight comes from fat. If you gain more muscle relative to fat your bf % will drop.
I might shoot for a higher weight though to be sure, maybe 95kg. I saw a big strong guy at judo lose 30lbs and he's definitely weaker now, and I really don't think he looks better at all. He just looks skinny and kind of frail, even if he's still relatively strong.

This is good information to have though, thanks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom