all posts post new thread

Old Forum Squat technique- low bar or high bar?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

coachcarter

Level 1 Valued Member
I have not  attended a strongfirst barbell cert yet, although its on my list of things to do, but I was wondering how the back squat is taught. This mostly relates to bar positioning, and if the hips driven (rippetoe style) or if it is more of a high bar olympic style ( squatting straight down between the legs). I squat low bar, just breaking parallel as squatting this way won't allow much more depth. If it's a question of application, I am a novice powerlifter, looking to get stronger, but also remain functionally strong for every day activities and hobbies (surfing and hiking mostly). And besides how it is taught here, any opinions and experiences shared would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike, we teach both high and low bar.  The low bar technique is not like Rippetoe's; we teach the classic IPF squat.

It's nice to understand both high/low bar, as the musculature is worked differently in both. I think high bar is a far superior firm of squatting and builds a much broader base. It's a real good quality to have jacked quads. Pulls of all kinds will take care of the backside. I do also recommended seeking a good coach who understands both to help, the low bar is surprisingly technical.

see i feel the same way-  that its good to know both techniques, but a high bar squat is a more "natural" squatting movement, similar to the goblet squat. It feels right and I feel more of a carry over to other activities from doing it. None the less, my coach has me with a low bar style and I squat way more that way, so from a powerlifting stand point, it's the way to go for me, or maybe a mix of both. I need to get to a certification asap to really help clear things up. Does the foundation of strength dvd cover the different styles?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/olympic_vs_powerlifting_squats

Many great squatters, mostly Russians as well as Eric lillenbridge high bar. You only squat more low bar because, well, you train it more and also because you break parallel barely. You don't have any choice because of the hams.  It's not fake strength by any means, but overall not as useful. However, ifpowerlifting  is your sport then it makes sense to low bar. A great way to use both is go high bar after the meet and build that up then taper with low bar. This assumes you can do both, done people can't transition.  Or even low bar and do pause squats high bar on light days to build volume but not hinder low bar on the heavier days.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom