all posts post new thread

Barbell Stalling After 1 Year Large Gains.....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pullupfighter

Level 2 Valued Member
I've made a few post in the past about my progress and wanted to ask for some advice.

I started training over a year ago and had excellent success my first year, going from 137 to 175 lbs. I used a 80% compound movement / 20% isolation movement method, that I came up with myself. I did a push / pull and legs and hit every muscle group 3x a week for my first year.

My compound movements: Weighted Pull Ups, Weighted Dips, Weighted Push Ups, Bench, Deadlifts, Squats, DB OHP's, Face Pulls.

My Isolation Movements: DB Lateral Raises, Bicep Cable Curls, and Triceps Cable Press Downs.

For the first year, again, my progress was GREAT. I blame it mostly on the newbie gains. I gained a tremendous amount of size. Look completely different. And best of all gained tremendous strength, taking some things like my Bench from 150 to 300 lbs in one year.

Now my gains are stalling. The problem? I don't feel like I'm recovering as fast. I'm going in the gym not being able to lift as much as the time before, simply because I'm worn down. I'm also noticing less growth over the past few months, verified by taking measurements.

So back to re-doing my training plan. I've read all over the internet, there comes a time when you simply can't recover from hitting the same muscle 3x a week, especially when you start getting into lifting the heavy, heavy weight. So I'm beginning to think that I've hit that stage where I need to slow down and give my body more time to recover. I didn't think like this at first, because I felt like my body was recovering quickly starting out, especially considering I wasn't lifting near the amount of weight I am now.

With that said, does it sound like it's time to cut back from hitting muscle groups 3x a week to 2x a week? Anyone had a similar problem? Input?

If you want to stay heavy, cut back to twice per week. Otherwise, look into methods that wave the load more regularly. Take a look at the Texas Method (heavy, light medium) for your next phase.

So back to re-doing my training plan. I've read all over the internet, there comes a time when you simply can't recover from hitting the same muscle 3x a week, especially when you start getting into lifting the heavy, heavy weight.
This is simply not true. You can go full body 3x per week and easily recover from it, the only thing you need to change is the programming e.g. waving the load like @Bro Mo suggested and/or exercise selection and/or cutting back volume.
Texas Method
Tactical Barbell
5/3/1
Juggernaut Method
all good intermediate routines.

Oh and btw Face Pulls are an isolation exercise and not a compound lift. Just saying so you don't get the idea of programming them like a main lift.

I've made a few post in the past about my progress and wanted to ask for some advice.

I started training over a year ago and had excellent success my first year, going from 137 to 175 lbs. I used a 80% compound movement / 20% isolation movement method, that I came up with myself. I did a push / pull and legs and hit every muscle group 3x a week for my first year.

My compound movements: Weighted Pull Ups, Weighted Dips, Weighted Push Ups, Bench, Deadlifts, Squats, DB OHP's, Face Pulls.

My Isolation Movements: DB Lateral Raises, Bicep Cable Curls, and Triceps Cable Press Downs.

For the first year, again, my progress was GREAT. I blame it mostly on the newbie gains. I gained a tremendous amount of size. Look completely different. And best of all gained tremendous strength, taking some things like my Bench from 150 to 300 lbs in one year.

Now my gains are stalling. The problem? I don't feel like I'm recovering as fast. I'm going in the gym not being able to lift as much as the time before, simply because I'm worn down. I'm also noticing less growth over the past few months, verified by taking measurements.

So back to re-doing my training plan. I've read all over the internet, there comes a time when you simply can't recover from hitting the same muscle 3x a week, especially when you start getting into lifting the heavy, heavy weight. So I'm beginning to think that I've hit that stage where I need to slow down and give my body more time to recover. I didn't think like this at first, because I felt like my body was recovering quickly starting out, especially considering I wasn't lifting near the amount of weight I am now.

With that said, does it sound like it's time to cut back from hitting muscle groups 3x a week to 2x a week? Anyone had a similar problem? Input?

Like they said and well done! I really mean it. How great it is to hear from someone making such great progress and with the wherewithall to be on here asking for advice on next steps. With that attitude you will never go wrong!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom