all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Standing up from deep squat

Steve - I think you meant to type unusual rather than usual above ?
Yes, sorry for the typo.

@BillSteamshovel, what I was responding to was the issue sometimes called "using the test as training." I don't think what you're after here is bad, I think it's good. But general strength and general mobility work will get you to the point where this test isn't difficult, and it's my personal recommendation that you just train to improve the qualities you want to improve and not worry about this one particular metric.

-S-

Last edited:
I would suggest that what you are experiencing has everything to do with your fascia - The web of connective tissue that surrounds every muscle fibre, bone and organ. Fascia is nourished by movement, when you stay motionless for more than a few minutes the fascia starts adhering to itself and getting somewhat sticky - this is how chronic bad posture develops. Five minutes is more than enough time for this to happen. Standing up will stretch it out and getting it moving again. But this is why sitting all day is so bad for us. Our fascia gets all sticky and stays stuck, this what causes classic desk posture.

Understanding fascia and working with a myofascial release practitioner has been absolutely game changing for me. Physically, emotionally and spiritually. Amanda Oswald's living pain free is a great introduction.

Sorry, but in numerous studies, "fascia adhesion" has been debunked.

Myofascial release / foam rolling may give benefits (it does for me), but it's not because it's unsticking fascia.

Sorry, but in numerous studies, "fascia adhesion" has been debunked.

Myofascial release / foam rolling may give benefits (it does for me), but it's not because it's unsticking fascia.
Thanks for this, always good to hear opposing perspectives with evidence

Perhaps my language is clumsy. When I say ‘adhesions’ I’m thinking of the sticky restricted feeling I get when I remain immobile for too long or that comes with bad posture and post injury. It also seems to be how I store trauma and suppressed emotions. Would facial restriction be a better term??

Myofascial release has been the tool that has helped me more than any other to move better and become more emotionally healthy. I appreciate that the scientific literature surrounding this is limited and sometimes questionable, but I would suggest that this one of many ways of knowing and understanding things - Not all things that matter and are true can be proved by science. It may not be for everyone and of course you have the right to remain skeptical as many are. It has been game changing for me which is why I am always keen to share in case it can help others too

Perhaps my language is clumsy. When I say ‘adhesions’ I’m thinking of the sticky restricted feeling I get when I remain immobile for too long or that comes with bad posture and post injury. It also seems to be how I store trauma and suppressed emotions. Would facial restriction be a better term??

Myofascial release has been the tool that has helped me more than any other to move better and become more emotionally healthy. I appreciate that the scientific literature surrounding this is limited and sometimes questionable, but I would suggest that this one of many ways of knowing and understanding things - Not all things that matter and are true can be proved by science. It may not be for everyone and of course you have the right to remain skeptical as many are. It has been game changing for me which is why I am always keen to share in case it can help others too

I think it's a valid perspective and I like the way you've described it.

In my experience, stretching, foam rolling, massage therapy, dry needling, Theragun, self-myofascial release like "the Roll Model" or lacrosse balls, and even breathing practice are things that I simultaneously believe "this has no evidence-based value in my training and physical life" AND "this is a powerful tool that benefits me, my recovery, and my physical and mental health."

I actually go in and out of these two states in practice, while believing both are true. For a while I'll use SMR and it really helps me. Then for weeks or months I won't touch it, and I'll be fine. Same with static stretching. And really all of the rest of those things.

I think, like you said, actions or practices are ways of knowing and understanding things, or even feeling things. When we delve into a practice that helps us know ourselves and feel what's going on, it's a totally different experience than a scientific study where a researcher has a bunch of people do this thing that they're not into. So it doesn't surprise me that the evidence for their benefit is scarce, and yet many people have found truly positive results from them.

The evidence doesn't say that foam rolling and/or massage aren't subjectively beneficial.

Lots of people, including me, find them to helpful.

But the mechanisms by which they work still aren't well understood, but we know that fascial adhesion as a pathology problem probably isn't the mechanistic reason.

Current theories is that it's possibly at the CNS / neurological / neuron level and may disrupt pathological patterns that cause a muscle to be "tonic" (i.e. low level continual activity) or, the opposite, to be "sleepy" (i.e. not being activated well by CNS), or otherwise just acting as some kind of 'reset' for the CNS and bad movement patterns.

Last edited:
The evidence doesn't say that foam rolling and/or massage aren't subjectively beneficial.

Lots of people, including me, find them to helpful.

But the mechanisms by which they work still aren't well understood, but we know that fascial adhesion as a pathology problem probably isn't the mechanistic reason.
I've found massages to work great on post surgical adhesions and scar tissue formation. Without some form of massage I don't think I'd have made such a quick comeback after carpal tunnel surgery (twice) for example.

EDIT: I read the article and understand it makes a distinction about post-traumatic adhesions and scar tissue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom