all posts post new thread

Old Forum Starting Simple and Sinister Journey

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Isaiah4031

First Post
After a long run of ADHD training (aka Crossfit, Power Lifting 5/3/1, ROP, CC, Viking Conditioning, etc...) I have decided to keep it simple and S&S convinced me this is the way. None of these others were necessarily wrong and some I stuck with longer than others. However, the results are less than stellar. 5/3/1 increased all my lifts and my deadlift was approachinv 400 and squat around 365. However, old knee injuries/ surgeries were rearing their ugly head. VWC was improving my snatch but didn't stick. Crossfit was giving me a kazillion pullups, pushups, burpees, etc. But terrible form due to rushing against the clock and wouldn't even count most of those these days.

Where has all of this left me? 43 years old, about 20 pounds overweight at 200, 5'11", bum knee, irritable shoulders, high cholesterol (that is mostly diet and needs to be addressed as such). I need consistency and smart training. Also need simplicity and efficiency as the busy father of 12 and 2 year old daughters. One more on the way in March. Full time job and plenty of home rennovation projects along with consistent outside work on our 2 acre property.

Plan is to consistently follow S&S for at least 12 weeks, probably add in the fighter pullup (full ROM slow pullups) if I don't feel like it is too much, maybe some pushups from time to time but won't go insane here as I know the TGU with the 16KG will be strong work. Swings will be with the 24KG two handed at first and then moving to one handed. I know there will be temptation to diversify and get distracted but keeping my eyes firmly fixed on the goal.

So far one week in and feeling strong. THANK YOU Pavel for the book. Took me time to realize how much it takes me past ETK but can see the light now.

From another beginner, don't be scared to try one handed swings, because they're really not much harder than 2 handed. I was surprised that I could do 16kg one handed swings without a problem (I'm female and small...), and today did a set of 10 on each side using the 20kg kettlebell. Anyway, just have a shot :) My first couple of days I started with one set of double handed, and did the others single handed. Now I just do 10x10 one handed (and managed within 5 minutes today!)

Just a few words of advice for single hand swings. From my experience grip is the first thing to give out. Make sure there is nothing breakable; relatives, electronics, furniture etc within range of the KB should your grip give out during a swing. Training outdoors on grass is favourite if the weather allows (not that we even notice sub-zero wind-chill and a bit of frostbite). I find climbers chalk helps with the grip especially when the sweat starts to flow.

One of my training partners is getting really lean by sinply focusing on S and S along with smart eating.. he is getting excited especially since his work capacity has improved a lot and he hasn't even completed "simple" yet

Thank you for the feedback. It's good to hear people getting good results. I have worked one handed and H2H swings before with the 24 along with snatches. I was interested in the explanation in S&S as to the unique benefits of the 2 handed swing and oddly enough have worked those less in the past so definitely want to work both aspects. Any advice on results from the two handed swing? Also is there anyone else incorporating the body weight movements and advice on this. I know I need to be careful to not overdo it and try to keep to the "simple" path. Wondering too about working in short sprints and/or walking (sometimes this involves a form of rucking carrying my two year old in a backpack).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom