all posts post new thread

Old Forum Starting Weights for 5 X 5 Progression

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sio5

Level 1 Valued Member
I read a blog post about Faleev's 5 x5 Progression. I would like to switch to this training program coming from the 5/3/1 program that I was doing as part of 5 week training class.  Can someone suggest starting weights for me? Is there a % of 1 rep max that I could use for an estimate.  I've been OOT and sick w/a cold so no training for 1.5 weeks except for conditioning while OOT. One commenter on that blog post looked like he started w/ 65 or 70% of 1RM for some of the lifts but for DL that seems pretty light to me. For the other two lifts, 65-70% seem good to start with.

Also, this 5 x5 program doesn't require accessory lifts. After taking the class, I realized that w/DL that I have issues with the initial pull of the weight (when going to heavier weights >250lb) though this wasn't apparent until we tested out our 1 rep maxes on last class day. Should I do accessory work to help in this area? I normally do high volume swings 2 x week using the 24kg bell as part of my routine  training and pull ups as well.

I'd say starting with a conservative 10RM instead of working with percentages might be a good idea. And starting light is probably a good thing if you're just getting back into the swing of things.

Depending on form, squats will probably help your deadlift start. Issues with the start might be partly remedied by optimizing your form, too. Any chance of a video?

Thanks for replying, Aris. I like your suggestion-it puts around where I was hoping I might start-but i'll err on the side of rounding to lighter.

I'll see if my friend has vids-she did take video of us testing but not sure if she still has them.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom