all posts post new thread

Old Forum Stating S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

fleurjr

Level 1 Valued Member
I have been looking around this forum for about a day or two and going to start reading S&S tonight.  I have been interested in starting a new routine.  May be you all can tell me if s&s seems like a good fit. 

Background: I am 34yr old male about 200#.  My most recent training has been with CF for about 3 years.  My most recent DL at 465 (although that was a few months ago), Squat (high bar) at 370ish.  I can provide more details if need be.  Due to family and work obligations I have stopped doing CF and was interested in starting something new.  I have been doing a 5X5 program with sq, bp, rows/sq, mp, DL/sq, bp, rows 3x per week followed by some hyperext, pullups, and cardio.  The programing is ok but I am admittedly a little bored.  I also would like to foll0w a program that I might be able to do in my garage eventually so I can spend more time with the family as well instead of driving to the gym.  I am more than willing to purchase KB's if need be and do s&s in the AM before my wife and daughter wake up.  I only have a couple of concerns.   

First: are most people that follow s&s only doing the swings and getups?  No other squats, DL, or pulls up?  It sounds like most people are not adding in anything else and s&s is plenty.  I have always enjoyed squats and can't imagine a routine without them.  That said, I am completely willing to do s&s as prescribed.  Also do people add-in some other exercises after being on s&s for some time?  I wanted to work on my pullup as they have been a weakness of mine for some time. 

Second: are most people following s&s through sinister or do people move on to something else.  In an ideal world I would like to work with s&s for a while. 

Sorry for the newbie questions.  I look forward to reading the book and finding out more.  I obviously need to do the workout once before I ask too many questions.

Best

I’m sure others will come I’m also. I’ve been doing S&S for 7 months or so and have gotten great gains in strength and fat loss doing nothing else. I did add in some pull up ladders for a while and worked up to 17 strict pull ups.

You’ll be surprised the amount of conditioning the simple goal let alone the sinister goal takes. Being a CF guy you’ll have to alter your swing style to the hardstyle and not the American style overhead swing.

Good luck. I suggest working toward the simple goal for a month or so to get a feel for it.

As I recall, Pavel addresses your questions in the book.  I believe you will find the answers there.  He does talk about adjusting the S&S workout frequency if you wish to continue to do some other program in addition.  S&S should fill your expressed need for a "at home" program which can give max results in minimal time with minimal equipment.  Let the forum know what you think about the program after a month or so .

Travis-

How did you incorporate the pull-up ladders? I need to do the same thing for a fitness test coming up.

-Al S.

Al, not Travis, but I ran the fighter pull up program concurrently with S&S. I would do S&S in the morning and the pullups in the afternoon. Worked quite well.

J-- my advice, just do the program till you get to simple before worrying about the details.

I didn’t really incorporate them per se` but just did the ladders after my usual S&S practice. I would give myself approximately 3-5 min of recovery between S&S and pullups and did my planned ladders of pullups as my last exercise.

To the OP:  Welcome aboard, and no apology needed for newbie questions - they're fine here and, if you're a newbie, they're encouraged!

You don't state a goal - what do you want to accomplish?  There's a lot one can do in one's garage.

-S-

Welcome to the forums!

I've been doing S&S for 15 months, and made it to the Simple goal by 11 months. It's a GPP that will keep you plenty fit enough to do almost anything life throws at you, with much less of a toll taken on your body than other programs. It does include a goblet squat as part of the warm-up. I found that I can easily maintain 8-10 strict bodyweight pull-ups.

I don't really think anything else is needed, unless, possibly you have some imbalances that you need to address. I did some loaded carries or farmers walks sometimes AFTER my S&S practice. I do martial arts twice a week and have noticed a huge improvement because of S&S.

Thank you for all your responses.

I read about half the book yesterday and did my first training session this AM. The gym I am currently at only has 30# and 50# KB's. I did 10 sets of 10 (alt arms after each set) swings and 5 get ups each arm with a 30# bell. The swings were not difficult at all. The get ups were a little more challenging. I still need to work on my form. I felt my knees bending too much during swings and my get up could be cleaner. Maybe after working on tech the 30# will be more difficult otherwise I may try to move up.

As far as goals that is difficult for me to answer right now. I have no experience with an all KB program so specifics can be difficult. When I was with CF my goals were easier to define (i.e 2x BW squat, 2.5 BW DL, BW+ snatch, 300C&J, faster rowing times, ect). Maybe when I have been with s&s longer I may be able to give more specific goals. I guess for now I would like to improve my movements while gradually increase KB size. Simple? Sinister? More generally I would like to continue to improve my strength, conditioning, flexibility, and body composition. I would also like to transition this program to my home/garage so I can not only add more days per week but also spend more time with my family. I don't have a lot of space in my garage so a full gym may not be possible but a KB based one would be.

I am going to continue this program at my gym for the next several weeks. If it seems like a good fit I am going to purchase some KB's and start at home. I will keep you all up to date and please feel free to chime in.

Best

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom