all posts post new thread

Old Forum Steve Wilson Deadlift Routine for Squat?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Physical Culture

Level 5 Valued Member
Quick question.  In several of Pavel's books, he refers to the Steve Wilson deadlift routine, in which one takes 25%-33% of one's max deadlift, and does 2-3 sets of 20 reps, 2-3 times a week.  According to Pavel and other sources I've found, this is supposed to allow a person to deadlift heavy weights when needed, by pulling light weights frequently in training.  As I understand it, deadlifting 100 pounds for 2-3 sets of 2o reps, 2-3 times a week sets you up for 300-400 pound pull.

What about squats?  Will high rep, lightweight squats have the same effect on a max squat as high rep lightweight deadlifts?

As I understand it, the Steve Wilson routine is 1. not for everyone, and 2. while it can set one up for a PR, probably cannot be used to build base strength to begin with, unless coupled with heavy squats.... I don't think that just DLing 100x20x3 a few times a week will set most people up for a 400lb pull. Pavel has written about using kb pulls as a substitute and I think that this would work quite well, though.

Squats... probably not, for the same reasons. If you've never lifted heavy you probably won't be able to lift heavy, though minimalist strength work followed by some moderately high rep 'practice' to groove the lift could be useful.

jmo of course.

High rep/high volume squats definitely work well. The problem is they work best with some heavier weights. A lot of people have had success with Dan John's Mass Made Simple, which involves 30-50 rep squats. I added 40lbs to my front squat following a variant of the Russian Bear which worked up to doing 15-20 sets of 5 with a moderate weight (about 70%).

Thanks, Andy.  I have Super Squats, and know about the benefits of high rep heavy squats for mass.  I'll have to check out Mass Made Simple.

Something you could try is high rep front squats, Aleks Salkin was recently discussing these on the instructors' forum on facebook.

Vasily Ginko likes doing 4-6 sets of 20 front squats as gpp for GS, I think; and I know that Steve Cotter had some bjj guys work up to 50 consecutive kb fsq with a pair of 24kgs. Could be something interesting to work with.

Sure thing!

Something I just thought of--doing fsq on the top of each minute, and holding the bells in the rack the rest of the time might be very useful, e.g. at 0.00, 5 fsq + stand and rest in rack for the rest of the minute until 1.00, then do 5 more fsq and stand again until 2.00, etc.

It'll probably suck, not to mention be quite boring; but it could be brutally efficient for boosting specific leg endurance and making you very comfortable in the rack position.

...Heck, you could do complexes that way too. Clean, several front squats, jerk and hold overhead until 20 seconds (however long that is), then stand with bells racked for 40 seconds. Could be a ton of ways to play with/program that; using different complexes/holds at different points of the lift, as a specific assistance drill, finisher, something for variety, etc.

You probably would feel like dying after. If you try it, let me know how it goes--I definitely won't be doing it.

For anyone else seeing this, the idea is for a GS-specific drill. No point to stand around holding the bells in the rack otherwise, imo.

I think since your seeking endurance of legs for GS, it makes sense to bring up your ceiling of strength. Bring up the front squat with a barbell or high bar back squats. Also to Aris, great idea on that complex. When I'm just messing around I'll hold pair of 32's for time, no reason really just kinda do it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom