all posts post new thread

Old Forum Strength Before Joint Surgery?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dfinaldi

First Post
Hello,

I've been struggling with a hip joint issue for the last 5 years.  It has gotten progressively worse to the point the chronic arthritis is preventing me from my normal physical activity.  I tried Simple and Sinister but my hip joint would not support the turkish get up.  I'm unsure how to work out and get strong with my current limitations.  Has anyone run into this issue?  I'm considering a hip resurfacing surgery. Has anyone had a hip surgery and retained to a normal level of fitness, activity, and strength?

Damon,

It is important for someone in your situation to have a clear prescription from your doctor as to what you should and should not do. If your doctor gives you clearance to let your pain and your good judgement be your guides, then you’re ready to see a trainer – if not, then make sure your trainer understands, and you understand, exactly what the doctor is telling you is off-limits.

You say, “I’m unsure how to work out and get strong with my current limitations.” Some of us here are able to help you with that, but I cannot imagine doing it via forum messages. Skype or Facetime might work, but certainly working with an experienced instructor in person would be the best.

You ask, “Has anyone run into this issue?” I have a long list of ailments, including a doctor-confirmed diagnosis of arthritis in several places up and down my body, including my right hip. The last time I saw my doctor, he told me that what I do every day _is_ what he prescribes for his patients with my condition, and that I should just keep on doing what I’m doing. I stretch, I do joint mobility work, and I train for strength in a way that improves my overall condition without unduly stressing (and therefore, worsening) my aging joints.

You also ask, “Has anyone had a hip surgery and returned to a normal level of fitness, activity, and strength?” The answer is a qualified Yes. Rickey Dale Crain, a Hall of Fame powerlifter, has a newsletter to which I subscribe, and in it he’s mentioned that he’s squatting 600 lbs. on two artificial hips. That’s not normal, that’s well above normal! Our own Hall of Fame athlete and coach, Dan John, has also had a hip replaced and has returned to competition. It _is_ possible, but it doesn’t happen for everyone, and it goes without saying that you must be careful in your recovery not to do too much, too soon, and to respect the limits given you by your doctors.

If you’d like to work with someone in person, tell us where you are and we’ll help you find someone. (If you’d rather not post that online, you can contact me via http://kbnj.com and use the email link, and I will help you find someone local to you.)

-S-

My doctor has not placed me under any restrictions other than listen to my body. I'm working with the hip docs from HSS in NYC. They advised against running. My physical therapist and I found I respond very well to soft tissue release and hip/glut activation. The challenge is the neuro muscular misfiring and nothing sticks. I conducted an FMS with him and everything scored well but my right hip which literally shuts off at times. I'd love a referral to someone local to work with. I'm in the Morristown, NJ area. Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely overcome this inconvenience.

Damon,

Here is what comes up on the instructor list:

http://www.strongfirst.com/instructors/?action=search&dosrch=1&q&listingfields%5B1%5D&listingfields%5B2%5D=529&_x%5Bzs_zip%5D=07960&_x%5Bzs_mode%5D=distance&_x%5Bzs_radius%5D=25

Did you have pain during your FMS (during any of the movements?)?

What is your current program etc...?

I do offer on-line training via Skype etc...

Get-ups - only go to the Elbow

Damo, you've got me in Rodgewood, NJ, and also Ron Farrington and Eric Moss that I know of who are both even closer, I think.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom