all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Strength training and rowing

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
@JPCross don’t you do this?
I do - thank you! C2 rowing has become my primary endurance modality over the last year or so now (pushing 3 million meters this "season"). Like @Steve Freides mentioned, @watchnerd has done quite a bit of (very good I might add) rowing as well.

@ManuDavila - With programming, it will come down to your background and goals. I can lay out a few things I have done over the last year as I've gotten more heavily into the C2 but even that has changed over time based on what I am targeting distance/time wise on the C2 and what my personal goals are with strength.

I do - thank you! C2 rowing has become my primary endurance modality over the last year or so now (pushing 3 million meters this "season"). Like @Steve Freides mentioned, @watchnerd has done quite a bit of (very good I might add) rowing as well.

@ManuDavila - With programming, it will come down to your background and goals. I can lay out a few things I have done over the last year as I've gotten more heavily into the C2 but even that has changed over time based on what I am targeting distance/time wise on the C2 and what my personal goals are with strength.
I've been paddling C2 since 2004. Normally, I do about a million meters a year. At first, the ergometer was my main and almost only form of training. For some years now, I have been interested in complementing the ergo with strength training, to perform better in the ergo. It would be of great help to me to know the strength programs that you rowers have done. Thank you

I've been paddling C2 since 2004. Normally, I do about a million meters a year. At first, the ergometer was my main and almost only form of training. For some years now, I have been interested in complementing the ergo with strength training, to perform better in the ergo. It would be of great help to me to know the strength programs that you rowers have done. Thank you
If the goal is to improve erg performance by using strength training, I would recommend any relatively basic strength program that is going to focus on building strength in the squat movement pattern and hinge movement pattern along with work to support those patterns. As far as an actual program goes, it's going to be completely dependent on your current status with strength training, access to equipment, frequency in which you would like to strength train, and any limitations you might have with your own body.

Upper body work will also help to build some additional strength and stability and help to deliver power; with the handle being the only thing connected to the flywheel, I think a lot of people lose sight of the fact that they could be bleeding power if they're not transferring all of their work efficiently to the handle.

Personally, I came into rowing with a bigger strength base and background so my focus isn't necessarily on building a lot of strength, rather maintaining a base I had previously built. This is much, much easier than actually building strength (IMO).

Yes,
Is there anyone on this forum who combines strength training with C2 rowing? I would like to know what strength program you follow.
I am, C2 erg is my main endurance training. I currently run S&S three times a week with C2 training twice. I believe that you can easily combine rowing with other programs as well, Iron Cardio and also The Giant/KSK are good options in my opinion and I'll try to replace my S&S practice with one of those in a couple of weeks.

As a former competitive rower, strength training was more an accessory training, as has been discussed in another thread here recently. We used to run full body circuit training focusing on strength endurance most of the year, also incorporating exercises to prevent imbalances from the rowing.

But as everybody else said - it comes down to your goals. If it's nothing specific, go with a GPP program. Works well.

Closing remark: when you said "paddling", that made me wince...

Some good feedback here so far.

When you say you want to perform better on the ergo by incorporating strength training, are your goals on the rower more about sprints like 1K and below? If so, then you will certainly improve your times by getting stronger (eg squats, deadlifts, power cleans).

If you are more interested in improving your times in the 2K and beyond, there's really no better substitute for piling on the meters...long steady state rows with the occasional hard interval sessions.

I row C2 in Z2 45 mins, 3x/week. I do TGUs after a row to re-set my shoulders from the hunch. Strength, I've been doing Neupert's Wolf, followed by deadbugs and pull-ups 3x/week. I also do sessions of yoga and mobility work to help with recovery.

Came here to look for rowing content, and of course strongfirst delivers. I have been rowing consistently for the last 5 months, recently hit my first 60 minute row. Is there good programming content out there for the 2k and 5k that anyone e would recommend? I row 4x per week and do mobility / bodyweight 4x per week, as well

I have been interested in complementing the ergo with strength training, to perform better in the ergo. It would be of great help to me to know the strength programs that you rowers have done.
Rowing is my main form of cardio, but it's just aerobic exercise for me.

However, Roger McCarthy used this back-squat and cable-row plan to prepare for the Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge (row 3000 miles across the ocean).
I've used the plan, but I didn't do it to improve my rowing, so I can't report on its effectiveness.

Came here to look for rowing content, and of course strongfirst delivers. I have been rowing consistently for the last 5 months, recently hit my first 60 minute row. Is there good programming content out there for the 2k and 5k that anyone e would recommend? I row 4x per week and do mobility / bodyweight 4x per week, as well
Have a look at the Pete Plan, but keep in mind that it’s a standalone rowing plan. If you’re running a strength program in parallel, watch your recovery… you can reduce the Pete plan to one speed interval, one endurance interval and one distance piece per week…

Edit: there’s a 5K version of the Pete plan as well…

Along the lines of what @Cortison mentioned, I would probably find something that's a bit scaled back to start even if you've been rowing a few months now. Even starting 3x a week with each would be a big training load on a weekly basis but I would recommend starting there as opposed to 4x a week (8 sessions per week in total).

Row - Pete Plan Speed Intervals

Mobility/BW Strength

Row - Steady State

Mobility/BW Strength

Row - Controlled Threshold (intervals on short rest at 45:00 - 60:00 max power) - 6-10 x 1k @ half marathon effort w/ 1:00 rest is one of my favorites

Mobility/BW Strength

OFF

Along the lines of what @Cortison mentioned, I would probably find something that's a bit scaled back to start even if you've been rowing a few months now. Even starting 3x a week with each would be a big training load on a weekly basis but I would recommend starting there as opposed to 4x a week (8 sessions per week in total).

Row - Pete Plan Speed Intervals

Mobility/BW Strength

Row - Steady State

Mobility/BW Strength

Row - Controlled Threshold (intervals on short rest at 45:00 - 60:00 max power) - 6-10 x 1k @ half marathon effort w/ 1:00 rest is one of my favorites

Mobility/BW Strength

OFF
Re the WODs listed on Concept 2 site: they list a workout every day. Do people follow along and do the workouts ever single day, a la cross fit, or do the pick and choose, dip in and dip out?

Re the WODs listed on Concept 2 site: they list a workout every day. Do people follow along and do the workouts ever single day, a la cross fit, or do the pick and choose, dip in and dip out?
I personally have not met anyone or come across anyone following those WOD's. I get them emailed to me every morning as I subscribed to the mailing list - I started plugging them into a spreadsheet to see if I could figure out if there was some kind of periodization to it or some kind of structure / methodology I could tease out but I personally could not recognize it so I came up with my own little thing that cycles on a 3 week block.

Back
Top Bottom