all posts post new thread

Old Forum swing stance

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NJRick

Level 3 Valued Member
After using the app coaches eye (great app recommended to me at an original strength workshop) I've noticed how wide my swing stance is.   I naturally take a stance similar to a sumo deadlift.  Should this be adressed?

Maybe ... If it's a true sumo stance, then you'll probably need to bring it in.  A lot of folks here will recommend a fairly narrow swing stance - getting close to your jump stance brings you closer to your natural power stance.  I teach a wider stance, making adjustments for each individual as needed.

Can you post a video?  If you bring your stance in, do your swings feel more powerful?

Like Al said, it depends on how wide your sumo stance is. My sumo is somewhat narrow, so the stance is pretty much the same as my double kettlebell swing. My single swing is a little narrower than that.

Play around with your feet positions for sets of 5. Start real wide then bring the stance in and figure out your sweet spot.

I've always thought my swing stance might be a little too wide too. But honestly, it almost has to be as wide as it is. It's not crazy wide, maybe 3" outside of the shoulder on each side. If I'm keeping the bell pretty high between the legs, I have to make the space for it - especially for the 32kg.

So, the feet may look wide, but if you pay attention to the space between your thighs vs. the size of the kettlebell, it makes more sense.

I used to go for a wide stance 4-6" past my shoulders. But, at the SFG course I took, I was instructed to go narrow for power generation.

I have to go at least Shoulder wide to get the bell through comfortably for me. If I try to go narrower than that I hit my legs with my arms.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom