all posts post new thread

Old Forum Swings and Back Squat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CMBMedic2014

Level 1 Valued Member
Since I injured my back last May I have tried just about everything from physical therapy to chiropractic adjustment to find relief. While almost a year later I still am not 100% I can say the last couple of month of Swings, Goblet squats and Get-ups with an occasional plank thrown in there have done a lot to help me at least be functional again. As of about 20 minutes ago I was able to parallel back squat (low bar) without pain. About 6 months about when I managed to get my back to get a little better just from rest I tried a simple linear progression from the empty bar and up and once I got to about 135 or more bam! Sciatica down both legs and an intense stabbing pain that traced down most of my lower back and glutes. Today, nothing.

As Pavel has wrote before he has seen even the crappiest kettlebell program give returns to a trainee and I believe that since, well, I haven't strictly adhered to the program minimum and have played around with other moves but still got pretty good results. Even if I wasn't able to attribute my improvements to the three movements; I could at least say that I've gotten thousands of quality hinge patterns down now and at the very least my nervous system has become efficient at the movement. Nah sayers tend to discount the value of kettlebells by saying they are just an endurance tool or a passing fad but as the mounting evidence builds towards their value I hope more people learn from my mistakes and see the value in hard lessons.

Thanks for your time reading, hope I helped someone with my rather long, unfocused rant!

Keith, awesome work, very inspirational. Keep it up and you'll be setting personal records again in no time. Slow and steady wins the race.

Great story, Keith! Going forward, find a doc who is a lifter.

The kettlebell is an ergonomic perfection, in my opinion.  Geoff Neupert and Jeff O'Connor pointed out that the kettlebell is the most forgiving strength tool and even suggested that powerlifters and weightlifters do a bulk of their training with kettlebells while practicing their barbell skills.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom