all posts post new thread

Old Forum Swings and Breathing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

hardstyler

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi,

I always thought one should inhale through the nose when the KB comes down and 'pressed exhale' through the mouth when the KB reaches the top of the swing (please correct me if I'm wrong here). Now I saw a video with Girya Sport teacher Valery Fedorenko where he does the exact opposite: Exhaling when the KB moves down and inhaling when the KB reaches the top of the swing.

I know that GS differs a lot from Hardstyle, but I wonder now if the pattern of breathing does matter after all?

And wouldn't it be best when one could perform two swings in one breathing cycle as Pavel suggests in S&S?

Cheers

I treat the breathing just like I would when I throw a punch or kick. I inhale on the retraction and exhale on the extension.

Also, it makes sense to exhale at the top of the swing so that you can tense your abs and glutes to make a plank.

The two approaches:

Anatomical- breath matches movement, inhale on extension, exhale into flexion.

Biomechanical- inhale into flexion, exhale on extension.

Usage depends on the desired goal. Biomechanical is superior for short bursts of high power, like the Hardstyle Swing, but you won't be able to go as long because of the higher output.

Anatomical is superior for endurance type activities like GS, but there will be less power output per rep.

SFG chooses Biomechanical breathing match as our go-to technique.  Pavel describes it as the "one punch/one kill" strike vs. a flurry of less powerful blows.

Thank you very much for this explanation. I know the anatomical breathing method from my ashtanga yoga practice. Now it's clear to me why there are these two methods of breathing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom