all posts post new thread

Taming the Training ADD

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SamB

Level 4 Valued Member
I originally started this as a thread in the Kettlebell section but the length got away from me. Given I want to start a log anyway, I'll pop the original here. More or less as a reminder to myself but maybe someone will find it useful. Future Sam, please scroll down to post two for current stats, plan and a recap of my recent training log. Also, why did you lose your paper log again. You lost five years' worth last time. I thought we'd learned from that!

TLDR: Hurt myself doing something that I should be too old and wise for. S&S seems to have fixed it. Back pain has gone from a persistent 3/10 to nothing at all in a matter of weeks.

Please don't take anything I report as medical advice, I'm just sharing my experience. I am aware I should see a doctor, but I'm reluctant to go to a doctor's office at the moment unless it is extremely urgent.

So, I'm not that bright. I often hurt myself doing things when I should know better, especially when it comes to training.

To be brief, I woke up an old back injury (could also just be a new one) by lifting with my ego. If I had seen Pavel's video of 'Failing like a professional' I would have been fine. Alas.

Anyway, I had several weeks of the most persistent back pain I have ever had. Not hugely painful moment by moment but extremely persistent. And it would flare up whenever I did various things. Stepping over the childproof gates to my kitchen for example. Or picking up my toddlers.

For obvious reasons this was unacceptable. So I thought back to my old back injury and what helped it to improve.

Changing my deadlift helped a lot. The technical model from Power to the People specifically. Then I decided to just go all-in on S&S. Though I'm mostly using the bent press rather than the get-up because 1. I prefer it and 2. It's winter here and my garage floor is cold and damp!

Within a week I felt pretty good most of the time. A few weeks on and my back feels actively good. I'm more aware of my posture and of using a hip hinge to get up and down. I also feel 'springy' and when I shadowbox my hands are crisper than they have been in some time.

Maybe this isn't even a WTH effect. After all, a strong back is one of the promises of the program, no? Still, I'm very impressed!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom