all posts post new thread

Old Forum Teens (and New Jersey)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NJBill

Level 1 Valued Member
I started my 13 year old son with deadlifts and side presses a few weeks ago, lifting about 4 or 5 times per week. I'm keeping his weights conservative and stopping him at 5 reps per set. I read that it is especially important for teens to not work to failure. Is there anything else to watch with his age group training?

He is currently 5' 8" and 135 pounds. It's off-season for his baseball (he pitches) and other than weights he is doing a small amount of medicine ball work (twisting throws), a light sprint workout several times a week, and some wall squats and planks.

Also is a strength coach in NJ you would recommend? I'd like to make sure his technique with the weights is tight.

Thanks in advance.

- Bill

Where in NJ are you located? If you 're in northern Jersey, I'd recommend Joe Carini. He has a gym in Pine Brook, and I believe in Paramus now. He was my powerlifting coach, and he's excellent. He's trained numerous members of the Giants and players from other nfl teams.

Thank you. I'm right in the middle, Princeton/Trenton area, about an hour from Philadelphia and New York, and don't mind a drive.

If you don't mind the drive, he's definitely worth it. He got my numbers way up, and he's done wonders with high school and college athletes also.

Bill, I live in Northern NJ but my wife and I grew up in, and still have family in Buck County, PA, right across the river from you.  It would be possible for me to stop by some time if that works for you - you can email via the links on my web site, www.kbnj.com.

We come down once a month or so to see my wife's Aunt, who's still going strong at 92 years of age.

-S-

Based on his pre-HS stats, I’m going to take a stab in the dark and guess that 1) he’s actively growing, and 2) he may still have a little ways to go. If he’s going to add lifting to his other athletic activities, take extra care to make sure he’s sleeping enough - and then make sure he's sleeping a little more.

Your son is a big 13 year old, but keep in mind that he’s still 13. Nothing is going to improve his strength more than puberty.

Thank you for your responses and information.

Steve, I'll contact you through your website, thanks very much.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom