all posts post new thread

Old Forum TGU Knee Issue

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ed smail

First Post
Looking for some suggestions. In the past few months I have developed patellar tendonitis in my right knee.  I had a patellar graft for ACL repair in 2007 and it acts up once in a while. Anyway I can pretty much work around it pain free with the exception of any type of kneeling.  So with the TGU I have an issue with planting the knee after sweeping my right leg back.  Would stopping at a high hip bridge be benefical, while doing the complete movement on the other side?  Or maybe just forget about the TGU for now and move on?  If anyone has any ideas or sugestions, they would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Yes, you can just go up to the high hip bridge and back down. Dan John has said he only takes his throwers that far.

Another possible option is to finish the TGU with an overhead squat rather than a half-kneel. It would be a different groove to learn, but still good I would think. And you'd be using both legs to stand up, so the weight per leg/knee would be lower.

I have been dealing with the exact same issue. I've found that wearing a Rehband knee sleeve helps somewhat, but it's just a Band-Aid.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I wish I had Dan's resources when I threw discus in high school. Is there a recommended pause on the hip bridge?

My suggestion is do what feels comfortable. Maybe 3-5 seconds to start and go from there.

Coach Mark Limbaga likes doing the getup with a 10 second pause at each step or even moving at "Tai Chi speed" throughout the movement to really own the weight. He had me doing that for a few sessions and it really helped to dial in the form.

Hope the knee gets feeling better for ya.

I have several clients with similar issues. I typically prescribe the following:

option A ) practice the getup in two parts Upper & Lower

Lower = from the floor press to any point you'd like to stop at on the way to the high bridge.

Upper = any standing drill or combination appropriate to the individual that gives the benefit of the remainder of the getup including single leg deadlifts, overhead lunges and windmills.

option B ) wear knee pads

I have high mileage knees and I find the TGUs will irritate my knees sometimes also.  I always make sure I am on a soft-but-stable surface to spare my knees.  I have some cushy volleyball knee pads that I use when my knees are acting up.  I also don't prefer this style, but find that stepping 90 degrees with the front foot and standing up facing the side is a good way to avoid the irritation of windshield wipering the back foot in the 1/2 kneeing position under load.  I've been able to find comfortable ways to do the full movement and prefer to stick to that plan.

Best,
Chris

Thanks for all the advice!  I tried it on a soft mat with a little less pivot on my right knee. This seemed to help.

This vid will be helpful for youhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAL_r97Kmuw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom