all posts post new thread

Old Forum TGU - Question on high bridge form...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jason Paul

Level 3 Valued Member
I've wondered this, but the more I do TGUs, the more I want to know the answer.

When doing the high bridge, what positions should the hips and shoulders be in?

Should the hips both be raised, so they're parallel to the ground? Or should one hip be higher, so there's an angle to the body?

Same question for the shoulders. If the shoulders are parallel to the ground, then the down-arm would be going back, and the high-arm would be going forward. If there's a sideways-angle to the shoulders, then they would both be going more outward (like a T), rather than forward/backward. I hope that makes sense in text.

Are you trying to make a somewhat flat table with the hips and shoulders - all trying to be parallel to the ground? Or, is there some sideways tilt?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason,

You'll be tilted. Those bothersome things called physics and anatomy will prevent mere mortals from becoming a three-legged table.

You want your arms to form the "T" you described with your upper body.  Your hand on the ground, your arm, your torso, your other arm and the hand holding the kettlebell should form a fairly straight line to give your entire upper body stability.

And remember not to do anything in a getup that you wouldn't do with a 48kg kettlebell over your head.

Thanks guys.

When I do them, I do have a sideways tilt, but in some videos I've seen, it looks like the goal might be to try to get the hips at least, and maybe the shoulders, parallel to the ground.

See this video with Dan John: <a title="http://youtu.be/t-ymPDhyPxg" href="http://youtu.be/t-ymPDhyPxg">http://youtu.be/t-ymPDhyPxg</a>

When the demonstrator goes into the high bridge, his hips look close to horizontal. Then Dan walks by and pulls his lower hip up even higher, which seems to say the hips should be horizontal. Granted, the demonstrator isn't using any weight.

His shoulders are tilted vertically, but his spine is twisted to bring his hips almost horizontal.

So when I do them, I look kind of like that, but I don't think my hips are that close to horizontal, so my straight leg is a little more on it's side, and my foot is often on its edge rather than the heel.

Earlier in that video i linked to, Dan specifically says to point the toe upward, which would imply that it should stay that way.

So the video, and what you are both saying tells me that the shoulders will be mostly vertical. But should the spine be twisted so the hips are horizontal?

Personally, my focus on the high bridge is more on the shoulders than the hips. I want my shoulders and arms to form a straight line perpendicular to the ground, with my shoulder blades pulled together. Secondarily, I try to raise my hips as high as possible. I don't really worry about the exact alignment of the hips; I just think "hips up" and let the exact angle take care of itself.

Maybe it is not necessary, but the high bridge is my favorite part of the movement.  It feels great, and it works the bottom shoulder in a way that doesn't normally get much work.

I train - and coach - trying to get both hips parallel to the ground. The arms should form a more or less straight line perpendicular to the ground. But, in contrast to Steve W, I don't think about the arms that much and really focus on the hips.

Parallel hips means good hip extension and thoracic rotation. Stuff we like.

Thanks for the additional replies. From what you're all saying I think I'm on the right track. I do think I need to focus on bringing my hips higher. I think my arm/shoulder placement is probably OK.

Steve Freides - thanks for the videos. I remember seeing them before, but forgot about them. Watching them again, I think I need to slightly alter my foot placement, bringing my feet a little closer together.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom