all posts post new thread

Old Forum The hack squat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Boicis

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi,

The hack squat is probably most controversial exercise. I've always liked it, and a time ago I was repping 40 kg kettlebell - each rep from the ground. In the former Soviet Union, it was like a leg minimum standard for beginner weightlifters – if you can hack a 32 kg bell from the floor you are ready to go on with weightlifting.

But then there were so many warnings from physiotherapists how bad it is, and I stopped it when my knee started to click when walking.

Now I feel a need to add a squat into my training routine again, just to oil my knee joints – they tend to get stiffer from many hours of office work (swings and deadlifts do not solve the issue). Of course, there is the goblet squat and kettlebell front squat what I can safely do. Still I am interested to hear thoughts from the Strongfirst community, what your experience with the hack squat is and whether there is a safe margin for its performance. Doesn’t it destroy correct squatting habits?

If I am asked about its functionality – I think it is good for climbing.

Personally, I am a big fan of the KB hack squat and find them very therapeutic for my creaky knees in a way that goblet squats and KB front squats are not.

It puts you at a leverage disadvantage and puts your knee under load near maximum flexion. I can see how this is potentially bad news for some people, and necessitates careful attention to form and conservative loading and progression. However, I feel they've helped me in situations where most physical therapists would probably advise against them (rehabbing knee tendinitis and arthroscopic meniscus repair).

I find that slow and controlled body weight hindu squats make a good break in drill to build up to doing KB hack squats when I haven't done them in a while. I'm not necessarily a fan of hindu squats done quickly and for high volume as an endurance exercise, but I like them a lot in a more low fatigue, low volume or grease the groove format. I highly recommend giving yourself a break in period like this to anyone who wants to give KB hack squats a try.

Also, for anyone trying these for the first time, keeping the torso strictly vertical is very important. Leaning forward changes the leverage completely and makes the drill trivially easy.

At a seminar, Pavel used the KB hack squat as a relatively specialized exercise that most people don't have a specific need for. I actually  had an unusual specific application when my son was very young and I would carry him in a backpack carrier when walking the dog. To pick up the dog poop, I had to squat down hack style, with an upright torso, to avoid pitching my son forward out of the carrier!

But I like doing KB hack squats anyway, both  for knee health and because it's a movement I just enjoy doing. I don't think they "destroy correct squatting habits" (if a person has correct squatting habits to begin with), but I also think they shouldn't be the only squat pattern training a person does.

Edgars, add the kb hack squat back to your programming, just do it bodyweight-only for a while, and then stick to light weights for a while, and see how it agrees with you or not.  Stop if it bothers your knees, or try it only once or twice a week in that case.

And then see if you feel it furthers your progress.  You may find, as I have found, the pistols are the key to happy and healthy knees and ankles.

-S-

Edgars, I'm quite a fan of light goblets and just getting the reps in -- but I'm tall and not a born squatter.  Don't see how hacks/hindus apply to climbing.  Just maintain side splits, roadkill splits, ballerina squats.

Matt,

Regarding climbing - staying/balancing on toes, being upright (="attached" to the rock); I do not think it's the rule but I use the knees quite apart to maintain good body alignment - also imitates being "attached".

I remember Pavel also recommended the hack squat for climbers.

Edgars, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about -- but if I don't, please correct me!  With rock climbing, I find myself always hitting that ballerina/cossack position.  I never find myself with the knees forward into the cliff because that puts my gravity away from the wall.

Matt,

now doubt that you know the thing:)!

As I already mentioned, I squatted with the knees rather pointed outwards, not forward.

I found Pavel mentioning the hack squat in relation to climbing here <http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/strength-training-and-rock-climbing/>

There is also something on the dragondoor.com <http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/kettlebells-strength-conditioning-forum/102169-pavel-question-hack-squat.html>

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom