all posts post new thread

Old Forum The Psychological Complexities of Becoming Strong by Hannah Fons

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mattsirpeace

Level 4 Valued Member
http://www.strongfirst.com/student-of-strength/

Hannah's article is outstanding.  There is a threshold where a person simply needs to be honest with himself or herself.  Those of us who chose to be strong may not know every last detail of training or eating, and may have lazy interludes, but it's different from choosing weakness.

I thought it was quite an insightful blog on the complexities of becoming strong.  Nice work Hannah!

It could also well be just the starting point of a broader discussion - what exactly is strong?  As this would need to be defined before it is clear what the discussion is about.  It seems intuitively understood, yet perhaps also could be counter intuitive in some respects...

I thought it was an excellent article, and possibly very true for many people.  Somewhat along the same lines, why be strong?  Most women, and many men, have not had the path illuminated for them.  Society and the fitness community says it's all about getting "badass", intimidating people, beating yourself up, and getting bulky.  The better message (that I find here) is that it's about becoming the person you were meant to be, becoming more capable, pulling your weight, making yourself resilient, and becoming anti-fragile.  I think if that message is clearer and the path is shown, more people would follow it.

I also found it strangely comforting when I first read Al Ciampa's PT manual and it became clear to me that rebuilding your body and building strength takes a LONG TIME.  These 90-day programs and quick fixes -- who can adjust to changes that quickly?  They don't last, and your inner self rebels anyway, because it takes longer for that "rest of the iceberg" to make the change.  The path is quite long, and that is a good thing...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom