all posts post new thread

Old Forum The pump stretch

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

AceecA

Level 3 Valued Member
Does pavel still endorse the pump stretch or has the shoulder bridge replaced it?

I've heard that it leads to hyperextending on the swing so it was replaced with the the shoulder bridge, but I was wondering what Strongfirsts position on it was.

I can't speak for Pavel, but I think the pump stretch is great. I like the warm up on the back of the legs and the motion in the upper spine/neck. (The SFG hip bridge is ok, too. )

I think Jeff Martone recommends a few vertical jumps after the pump stretch to avoid any tendency toward hyperextending.

Hi!

Good question!

Reading "Super Joints" one explanation to the change is probably strength. Since the SF Hip Bridge makes you use your strength to assume the hip flexor stretch, it is superior to the Pump Stretch which depends more on gravity. (The ability to make your body stretch out by using tension enhances athletic performance more than just passively yielding to gravity).

What I've also learned from my limited experience from coaching, is that the PS is less newbie friendly - it demands some lat strength to anti-shrug and more focus when back bending as well as tensing the glutes to protect the back. However, it wouldn't suprise me if  the PU delivers faster results in hip mobility, since it relies on both gravity and the relexation of the antagonist muscle from contracting the glutes. But what good is fast mobility gains when the strength is suffering? StrongFirst, right

When it comes to the organisation, I'm not the one to answer though - I'm not an instructor yet.

Have a nice day!

Both the pump stretch and the hip bridge can be great moves for people.  Or they can be horrible.

It depends on what your goal is for the person, what their issue is, and how they respond.

I tend to favor the pump because of the upper body component - one key is to maintain some level of glute activation by attempting to tilt the pelvis backwards (looking to limit lumbar hyper extension.) Key #2 is if I do this with someone we will never go straight into a ballistic lift - I will bridge the gap with something else.

Jon, IMHO, the shoulder bridge is more specific to the finish position of a swing.  If you like to do them both, I'd do the pump first, as a general loosening-up movement, before a swing session.  Then do the shoulder bridge to "remind you in advance," if you will, of what your body is supposed to do at the top of a swing.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom